Chapter 39

"You can do it, of course, but..." he smoked from his pipe inspecting the two nervous teenagers. Or well, the teenager and the young adult "Are you sure you want this?"

(Y/n) played nervously with her fingers while she looked at the floor, nodding shyly whereas Kakashi didn't look away from the Hokage, nodding with determination. Hiruzen sighed. 

"How long have you been together?" he asked. Kakashi blinked, taken by surprise, and (Y/n) blushed even more.

"It'll be 2 years in five months" Kakashi answered with his ninja tone.

"How long have you been dating, not known each other" the Hokage corrected himself. Kakashi finally broke eye contact with him and looked away, embarrassed. But neither he nor (Y/n) answered because the truth was that none of them knew at what point they started having feelings for each other. They just naturally started acting like that towards each other. Hiruzen sighed again, but he started rummaging through some papers "You know, your parents also married after 2 years of knowing each other, Kakashi" he said while he signed a few papers. 

(Y/n) looked at the jonin and he swallowed, discovering for the first time that piece of information. Something about it made him more excited. He seemed to have paralyzed for a moment, and (Y/n) who had been looking at him noticed. She took a step closer to him and held his hand, gripping it gently and making him finally react. 

"I don't have anything against this," Hiruzen said again "but you two are very young. I would hate to see that you married due to (Y/n)'s circumstances, and not—"

"I love her," Kakashi interrupted him, taking the courage to do so by tightening (Y/n)'s hand "(Y/n)'s circumstances... are only a mishap in something that was inevitable"(Y/n)'s heart tightened upon his decisive words, and so she hanged closer to his hand an arm. Hiruzen maintained his stare at both of them for another minute, and in the end, he slid two papers down his desk.

"If that's what you two want... Here are the papers for you to sign," he said. (Y/n) and Kakashi approached them, reading them carefully, and inevitably getting more and more nervous the more they read.

Kakashi was the first one to pick up the pen. He took a quick glance at (Y/n), and it was enough to set his heart at ease. He signed his part, and passed it to her, looking at her anxiously. She picked up the pen with almost trembling hands, and read the paper. Her chest started to burn, and she felt like crying. But it was a weird sensation, nothing like the way she used to cry. Her eyes were becoming wet, but she wasn't sad. She was scared, of course, but if some tears escaped, be sure they were from joy and excitement. 

She finally signed her name next to Kakashi's, making his lips curve into a smile bigger than he barely smiled. But before they could say anything else, Hiruzen slid another paper to (Y/n). Both (Y/n) and Kakashi read it carefully, but (Y/n)'s mind started to drift when she reached the middle of the text. 

If she signed it, she would drop her surname and instead have Kakashi's. She thought it was cute, and her skin tingled upon the thought. But at the same time, she couldn't help but think that if she were to give up on her surname she would stop being herself. She frowned, thinking of his father for it was his surname after all. Kakashi, who had been intently staring at her, realized she was hesitating. So he slipped his hand into hers, intertwining his longer and colder fingers with hers.

"You don't have to sign it now," he spoke lowly, breaking her train of thoughts "You can change your surname anytime you want, if you want" And as easy as that, she finally signed it. 

The question was simple, really. Should she share a surname with her demon sister, and horrible father? Have the same surname as those who only wanted the worse for her? Or instead, should she have the surname of the man who cared for her and loved her? She saw it clearly when Kakashi said those words, so softly and patient with her, worried for her own thoughts. After all, if she was who she was now, it was thanks to him and definitely not those who shared her surname. Or well, her past surname for she was now (Y/n) Hatake. She blushed when the name resonated in her mind.