Chapter 23

(art from @mg_CuO on twitter)

(Y/n) looked down and saw a pair of ninja sandals. And when she looked up, her eyes widened upon being met with Kakashi's face. But he wasn't looking at her, instead, he had his deep frown set on Alyss while he restrained her wrist even stronger than she had been doing with (Y/n).

"She said to let go," Kakashi's voice sounded lower than usual. But what intimidated Alys made (Y/n) feel safe.

"Kakashi?" Alyss spoke, surprised as well. But when she tried to pull back from him and get her sister again she found herself being restrained even more roughly.

Meanwhile, (Y/n) buried herself in Kakashi's body as he was already very close to her. His free arm quickly enveloped her, keeping her away and safe from her sister. But as much as she felt more secure with him, the actual reason why she had thrown herself at him was that she couldn't stand the fact that she was crying. She didn't want her sister to keep looking at her, and she didn't want Kakashi to see her in such a pitiful state. So she hanged onto him, staining his Anbu vest with her tears. But she didn't care. Right now, he looked like a savior.

"What are you doing here?" Alyss asked him again, having given up on reaching her younger sister. But the grip Kakashi held on her wrist was so tight she was still trying to make him let go. He finally did it although with clear spite.

"Let's go, (Y/n)" he ignored Alyss. He wrapped his other arm around her and turned around, walking away. Alyss tried to talk to (Y/n), to speak to Kakashi, but neither of them paid her no attention and left her behind.

Even when they had left Alyss and she wasn't around anymore (Y/n) continued to be shaken up. All she could do was look at her feet as Kakashi guided her through the streets. She didn't know where they were going, and she didn't care. She wouldn't look up until she was certain her cheeks wouldn't be stained by tears. She was, in fact, so upset and thankful for Kakashi's appearance, that she had even forgotten how awkward things were left when she ran away from his place.

To be honest, she had been feeling bad about leaving his place like she did when she discovered what kind of books he was into. Especially because she hadn't realized he would be gone for a mission and therefore they wouldn't see each other anymore. During the following days after that awkward situation she continued to blush madly whenever she recalled the things she read in his book. But she knew that Kakashi wasn't a bad person. And if he was a pervert, he had never acted like that with her. So, was it that bad if he read those books? Perhaps they actually were good books... She didn't quite mind after some thought, but she still felt weird whenever she remembered those lines in specific. No wonder she thought things would remain weird with Kakashi when they were to meet again. But seeing that he quite literally saved her, she had honestly forgotten about any of that.

They finally seemed to have reached their destination when (Y/n)'s tears stopped. Now, the only thing that remained was her reddened cheeks and eyes. Kakashi didn't say anything else either. He didn't know what to say, and he preferred to give her space. 

The only place he could think of was his apartment. But even so, (Y/n) didn't mind, and quite much preferring it over hers, she got in quietly behind him. However, her gloomy aura disappeared when a puppy greeted her, sloppily jumping and leaning against her legs as it happily wiggled its tail. 

"Are you hungry?" Kakashi asked after some hesitation before she could even ask about the dog. He had been curious about what led her and her sister to be like that, but he also didn't want to be too nosy. He rubbed the back of his head slightly nervous. (Y/n)'s stomach let go of a quiet rumble that only she heard, but she didn't have much appetite, so she shook her head in denial "Have you eaten anything today?" he asked, any trace of hesitation gone. Again, she shook her head in denial "I'll make something," he said anyway, starting to prepare one of his delicious meals.