Chapter 16

(1st art from @lohvkk on twitter)

A faint breeze blew through the streets, caressing Kakashi's masked cheeks and hair that flew into the air. It was pleasant given the growing heat of spring. He closed his eyes for a second while he enjoyed the refreshing air. There were few people in the street besides him due to the early hour, which only made it more pleasant for him. He had nothing to do, it was his free day from his Anbu duties. So as usual, he headed to the flower shop to spend these hours by the graveyard, pitying and hating himself. Trying to feel those feelings he used to ignore just to lock them down even harder. But until he reached the graveyard, those thoughts and emotions didn't even exist. Instead, he actually felt quite the contrary as he approached Yamanaka's flowers. He wondered whether today (Y/n) would greet him with her fake customer-service smile. He wished she didn't, not after he saw a genuine smile from her. He didn't understand why she was always trying to be nice to everyone, even if she didn't feel like that on the inside.

The bell of the door sounded when he finally entered the store. He didn't look up and instead ran a hand through his hair with a small sigh as if he was tired. Although he wasn't abnormally tired, just as bored as always.

"Good morning, Kakashi," a female's voice sounded, but it wasn't (Y/n)'s. It made him snap out of his edginess and jolt his gaze from the floor to the cash desk where the owner of the voice was. He blinked confused when it was Mrs. Yamanaka instead of the (h/c)-haired girl he expected to see "You look disappointed," Mrs. Yamanaka chuckled, making Kakashi blink more effusively and look away, getting rid of his confusion "Were you hoping to see (Y/n)?" she smiled while she started to prepare Kakashi's daily order.

He sweat-dropped, noticing his cheeks and body becoming warmer. But he didn't say anything, unable to deny it. It made her smile wider.

"(Y/n) called in sick earlier this morning," she explained "Here you go, I added these primroses. Give her my regards when you see her" she added. Kakashi picked both bouquets and nodded.

He paid and left the place, and it wasn't until he was walking where his old team rested that something came to him. It fell on him like a bucket of cold water, and it was the fact that Mrs. Yamanaka was already taking for granted that he would be visiting (Y/n).

Once again, he felt his body becoming warm although he blamed it on the rising temperature of this time of the year. However, he was annoyed for a while thinking about how Mrs. Yamanaka seemed to have known more of him than he did himself. So after having his time with his father and old team, he left the place, primroses in hand.

He usually bought flowers, but they were always for the dead. And now, carrying flowers for a living person made him uneasy. He just wanted to arrive at (Y/n)'s house and get rid of them by giving them to her already. He knocked on the door a few times when he arrived, but a few minutes passed and there was no answer. Not even a single sound from inside her apartment. Kakashi's brows knitted together, undeniably becoming slightly worried. He walked to the nearest window that belonged to (Y/n)'s bedroom, but he couldn't see anything due to the thick curtains. He knocked on the glass nevertheless, even more times and harder than before. And this time, it only took a few seconds until there was a reaction from inside the house.

All of a sudden the thick curtains were snapped open, showing a sleepy and gaunt (Y/n). She immediately looked away with squinting eyes when the light of the day flooded her bedroom. Then she opened the window.

"Kakashi?" she asked with a strained voice, trying to look at him with difficulty due to the daylight. He stared at her for a few seconds, at her messy hair, eye bags, and frail appearance.