Chapter 26

(art from @d_schmett on twitter)

Today Kakashi would know what his new job as a jonin would be. Or well, he wasn't completely sure but he believed he would know today. In the end, he was informed by an old Anbu teammate that the Hokage wanted to see him later on the day. 

He would lie if he said he was surprised to be called that fast. He hadn't even had time to get used to the jonin attire... He looked at his reflection in the mirror of his room one last time before pulling up his mask. He stared at his pale face, and for once, he didn't feel ashamed. Instead, he felt uncertain. 

Kakashi considered himself on the handsome side, but looking at himself while having his first kiss in mind, he couldn't help but feel embarrassed of himself. (Y/n) hadn't said he was handsome... 'It's not like I need her to say it or something,'  he continuously repeated in his mind. But she was one of the few people to have seen his face... a little bit of verbal admiration would have been okay. Unless... she didn't find him that attractive. That was what scared Kakashi. Not to talk about the fact that he didn't know if he kissed alright or not either. 

He wasn't completely sure of what he felt towards (Y/n), even if he knew his feelings surpassed those of any friendship, it would be hasty to declare anything. And although he was certain (Y/n) felt somewhat similar, he couldn't know for sure to what degree she felt the same things he felt whenever she was around him. 

The calmness in his heart, the involuntary small smiles, and disappearance of all and every angst, the way he discovered what it was to look forward to another day with her... He didn't know if she felt that too, and it made him hesitate. It made him be unsure of how to proceed. Should he hold her hand again? He had been dreaming about it, but would it be okay to do it out of nowhere?

He slapped himself on his forehead, tired of thinking the same things over and over again without reaching a conclusion. Finally pulling up his mask he left for the Hokage's office, trying to think of what his new job would be as a way of distracting himself. And he thought he had just achieved his objective until he reached the Third's office. 

Hiruzen's assistant let him in the room as soon as Kakashi arrived. But immediately after setting foot inside the room, he stopped, surprised by the people present and now confident that he hadn't been called to discuss his usual jonin work. 

For starters, Kurva stood next to the Hokage behind his desk. But that wasn't what caught his attention the most, it was the (h/c)-haired girl he had been thinking of since yesterday that stunned him. (Y/n) turned to him and looked at him as confused as he was, and when he saw how nervous she was he had to fight the urge to walk right up to her and hold her hand. Instead, he had to kneel in front of the Hokage as the rules stated. 

"Now that Kakashi's here we can discuss the matter at hand," the Third started "I am aware that (Y/n) knows who Lord Soo-Yun is. Do you?" he asked Kakashi, who quickly nodded, not getting any calmer at the mention of the name "Good, that will save us time," he said, making a long pause in which he smoked from his pipe. Then he fumbled with something behind his Hokage cape until he took the object out "As you know, the Land of River has been under conflict for years. And since Soo-Yun's father died, a conspiracy against him has arisen as well" he added while playing with the bracelet (Y/n) stole from him, making her more nervous the more he talked "That is why, Lord Soo-Yun has requested for our help. (Y/n)," he called the girl, making her stop breathing for a second "I need you to go to the Land of River,"

"W-what?" (Y/n) quickly spoke completely shocked and at a loss for words. Hiruzen sighed as if he didn't want this either. 

"I'm sending a handful of ninjas to assist Soo-Yun. You, however, are required for something else. You will arrive in the city as Soo-Yun's love interest and soon-to-be bride. Your presence is supposed to make him look distrait and weak so that he can catch his enemies off guard,"