Chapter 4

Saturday use to be for sleeping in, watching cartons, going out with friends, and eating junk food. But not anymore. Now my Saturday starts at 6:30 and ends at 10:30. I work at Orscleans most of the day, then the library, and also just got a job taking care of the horses at the school.
*****
When the manager had walked up to me, at first I thought I was in trouble. She had seen me there several times before then, so when she walked up to me she said, "Well if you are gonna be here all the time, ya might as well do something useful."
I stuttered not really sure what to say.
"You can work nights, morning, or evening. Whatever suits you. Just let me know and I will make you a schedule." She said. "By the way, I am Irene, the manager. We are short staffed lately and we have more horses coming in next week. Just let me know if you are interested, you would be getting paid by the hour but it would only be a minimum wage. That okay?"
"Umm... Yeah that would be great. can I do nights, sometime around 9?" I ask Irene.
"Sounds good. I will get your schedule and you can start tomorrow."
"Thank you ma'am."
"Please just call me Irene."
"Alright Irene. I will see you tomorrow."
"Nine sharp."
"Yes ma- I mean, yes Irene."
****
The library is a bit more crowded than usual today. I even recognize a few people from my classes,but non of them recognize me. That changes when a perky girl with blonde hair, big blue eyes, and a floral dress, cream flats, and a smile that reaches from ear to ear comes up to me while I am putting away books. She walks up to me and starts talking as though we have been friends forever.
"Hey. You are in my college class with Mr. Wallace, right?" She asks.
"Umm. Yeah I am." I say, confused as to why she is even talking to me.
"I'm Lila. My friends and I noticed that you always sit alone. Soooo...." She drawls out.
"And."
"Oh." She says startled at my annoyed and standoffish tone, "Well we were wondering if you wanted to have lunch or breakfast with us sometime?" She asks while following me as I finish putting books up. Then I turn to look directly at her for the first time.
"Why?" I ask feeling even more unsure than when she first started talking to me.
"You look like you need some friends. And we all think you seem pretty nice and cool. So? What do you say." She asks.
I am not sure if it was the hopefulness in her voice or the pleading look in her eyes. But instead of saying no I say, "I'll think about it."
"Yay. Alright we will be at the cafe shop a couple blocks from the high school, they have the best food and coffee. We will be there from 8:30 till a little after nine on Monday. I hope to see you there. Umm. Whats your name?"
"Emerald."
"Alright, goodbye Em." She says with a smile before she leaves.
What on earth have I gotten myself into. I think, shaking my head.

_____________
The picture at the top is supposed to be Lila