Chapter 27

Luca's pov
I was supposed to pick the girls up from the barn at 9:30 but I decided to go early. I can't explain why, maybe it had something to do with Lila's and my bond, but whatever it was I felt like I needed to pick them up early.

So I head over to pick the girls up from the barn. I was halfway there when I saw the smoke. I hadn't realized what it meant until I got closer.

When I finally do register the smoke and the flames are coming from the barn, I barely get my truck in park before flinging my door open and running towards the flames that keep rising higher. As I run I call 911.

Lila and Blithe run towards me coughing and covered in soot from the smoke. I pull Lila to me, "Are you guys okay?" I ask pulling away enough to look Lila over.

"I think we are ok. I don't know what happened. We were heading to the door and when we got to it we couldn't get out. It had been locked from the outside and then the fire started and we couldn't get out." Lila says.

Blithe continues, "Then all of a sudden the door flies open and there was so much smoke we couldn't see."

At that moment a horrific thought pops into my head.

Emerald isn't with them.

I don't know why that wasn't my first thought, but now that I have I hold Lila at arms length. "Lila! Where is Emerald?" Lila and blithe both go white.

"Oh my gosh! She went back in!" Lila shrieks.

"I have to get her." I say starting to the barn. I can hear the sirens coming towards us and I pray that they get here faster.

"No you will get yourself killed." Lila yells grabbing my arm as a piece of wood falls from the roof and sends sparks towards us.

Just then horses start racing from the flaming building. I know what she is doing. She is trying to save the horses, but in doing so she is going to get herself killed. Almost all of the horses are out by now and the firetruck has showed up and is getting the hose ready. But not fast enough.

"There is someone still in there!" I yell to them and they start to move faster.

Then we hear a crash from inside and then a high pitched squeal. Then Emerald comes flying out of the barn on a younger colt that I vaguely recognize.

The colt races away until he decides that he is safe from the smoldering barn and the men with there large hoses.

Emerald slides off and onto the ground.  We all race over to her and so does a medic. I reach for the horse but he dances away from me, his wild, fearful eyes never leaving the spot where Emerald sits on the ground. If I was crazy I would think he was worried about her.

*****

Emerald is covered in soot and ash from head to toe and she has a large goose-egg on her forehead and bruises on her cheek from where her father hit her, in his drunken rage.

After the medic says she only had a mild concussion and to keep her awake and keep an eye on her for the next few days, Emerald has to give a testimony to the officers and we are free to go. 

*******

Emerald's pov

When we get home Lila and Blithe get cleaned up first then I do.

When I pull my shirt over my head I gasp at the pain from this simple movement.

I look at my abdomen in the mirror and see black and blue and purple bruises blooming across my stomach, my back, my arm, and my left shoulder. I know when I get in the shower it is going to hurt but afterwards I will feel better.

After my shower I change into sweatpants and a loose, long sleeve shirt. Then I head into the living room where everyone is sitting.

I stand there for a second taking it in. Lila sits with Kaden's arms around her and Luca is holding her hand. Blithe sits and talks to Jerin. Sebastian sits on the floor playing with Maisy and Peter, and Lennon sits with her arms around Jaxson. Willow called when she heard but, she had just gone home to visit her family in Wyoming.

Luca looks up at me and his eyes are filled with so much worry that tears prick my eyes. Luca reaches his free arm out to me and I walk over to and curl up next to him. He drapes his arm around my shoulder and kisses the top of my head.

"How are you?" Luca asks.

"Tired and sore." I say, looking up at him.

"I was so worried, I-" I cut Luca off.

"I know. But I'm fine now."

"I know. You were really brave Em." He says moving a few stray hairs out of my face.

I lay my head down on his chest and it only took a few seconds before I started to fall asleep. I could feel myself being lifted up and carried to my room by Luca.

When he lays me down I roll over and I hear Luca gasp. I open my eyes and realize my shirt had moved up, revealing the bruises on my abdomen.

I look up at him and pull my shirt down. "Those look bad. Are you sure you are okay?" Luca asks.

"I'm fine. I just need to sleep." I reach up and cup his cheek.

He leans down to kiss my cheek but I move so he kisses his lips. I can feel his smile as we kiss and when he pulls away we both smile. "Goodnight Luca."

"Goodnight Em." Luca says closing the door behind him and the. I was out.