Chapter 23

After school I am working in the library organizing the books when Luca comes in looking for a book. I stay where I am and continue putting up books till he spots me.

"Hey." Luca greets me

"Hey. Do you need help finding a book?" I ask, putting up the last book for that section and then I move the cart, motioning for Luca to follow.

"Yeah. Okay not really. I was kinda looking for you." He says and I pause and turn to look at him.

"Oh. What do need me for?"

"Umm.... Well I... Are you doing anything Sunday or Sunday night?"

"Just barn chores. Why?"

"Well my mom invited Lila, Kaden, and I for dinner and I don't want to feel like a third wheel.. So I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?" Luca finishes, rubbing the back of his neck, a habit I have recently noticed.

"Sure. I would love to meet your mom."

"Awesome. So I will pick you up around eight?"

"Yeah I will see you then."

"Alright. So.. Uh yeah I will see you later. Bye." Luca says then leaves and I go back to putting books away.

***********

"Hey Luca." I say meeting him outside my door.

"Wow... I mean you look... Wow." Luca says.

"Thank you." I says looking at the ground and tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. I am wearing a maroon lace high-low dress paired with black heels, black dangly earrings, and my heart necklace. I even put on makeup. "I guess we should get going?"

"Um. Yeah lets go." Luca says and we head out to the truck.

***************

When we get to the door Luca's mom opens it. She gasps and puts her hand over her heart. "You look just like a friend I use to know."

"Really? What was her name?" I asks smiling as we walk into the dinning room.

"Her name was Maria Field. Till she married off, course, then she was Maria Birch." She says and my jaw drops open at the sound of my mothers name. "You knew her?" Mrs. Meyer asks.

"She... She was my mom. You knew my mom?" I ask feeling very flustered and slightly off kilter.

"Yeah she was a wonderful person. I was sorry to hear about her death. I was lucky to have gotten to know her."

"How did you know my mom?" I ask, taking the seat next to hers.

"Well we first met at college, we were room mates. We were very close, your mother and I, we went everywhere together. I ended up staying in Georgia with my Aunt and we hung out all the time. I was there when your mother met your father. He was a wonderful man. How is he by the way?" Mrs. Meyer asks and I look down, blinking back the tears.

What can I say Oh, yeah that wonderful man is abusive drunk and is in jail cause he killed someone. "He's doing okay, I think." I say looking at her again. "My mom talked about someone a lot. Was that you? She said something about being her bridesmaid at the wedding and being there for my older brother's and my births?"

"Yes that was me. You were a beautiful baby. I don't know how I didn't recognize your beautiful green eyes. They have always been very striking. And we thought you eldest brothers were beautiful. Your mamma would be so proud." She says, putting her hand on my cheek and before I even know what I am doing I am embracing her in a hug and tears brim my eyes.

"Thank you, Mrs. Meyer." I say.

"Call me Kim. And I am actually not a 'Mrs.' Lila and Luca's father and I are divorced. He was never cut out to be a father. An uncle sure, but not a father. Not like your's. Your dad was wonderful with you kids. Goodness I remember him and your brothers throwing the football for hours, or your dad giving you guys piggy back rides. I remember when I had visited once, you were about five at the time, and a boy pushed you on the playground and he called you some name. You know what you did? You punched him, right in the jaw. Your dad got on to you but he also said how proud he was that you stood up for yourself."

"I remember that boy. I use to hate him, he tormented me every summer, and I never new why." I say and I see Kim look over at Luca.

"Maybe he had a crush on you and was to embarrassed to tell you." Kim says and I am almost positive that she just winked at Luca but it's so quick I can hardly tell.

"Yeah. I'm sure that what it was."

___________