Chapter 7

"Peter, why did you hit that boy?" I ask once we get home.

"He found out that I live with a bunch of girls and that we don't live with our daddy anymore. And then he started making fun of me." Peter says, quickly wiping away the tears and sniffling. As soon as he says this my heart starts breaking.

"Buddy, just because someone is mean doesn't mean you can punch them. Mom would always say that the best thing to do is to be kind to them. You never know what is going one in their life to make them feel the need to be mean." I say sitting on the couch next to him.

"I miss our old town and my old friends."

"I know you do. But we just have to make the best of it. I'm sorry I had to move us out here but I believe it is what is best. Okay?"

"Okay. So what are we gonna do about my suspension?"

"Hmm. Well, for now, you and I can watch a movie. Sound good?"

"Yay. What are we gonna watch?"

"Pick whatever you want and I will go make popcorn."

"Alright."

We ended up watching Night at the museum, the first one, then we watched the lion king.

___________________

Irene had called to tell me that the other girl who is suppose to help in the evening had gotten sick and that I might have to come in early. Luckily she said I could bring Peter if he would behave.

"Peter, would you like to come see what I do at the barn? I was called in early."

"Really I can come with you?" He asks, bouncing on the couch.

"As long as you can behave and do not get into any trouble." I say as I gather my things.

"I will. I promise sissy.I won't cause any troubles." He says then we slip on our boots and head out.

_____________________
Before we get out of the truck I explain to Peter that nobody knows about our family and living situation. And he agrees to keep it that way, even if he doesn't completely understand why I want it to stay a secret.

I greet Irene, introduce her to Peter. Then, after I tell Peter all of the safety rules, I'm off to work.

About an hour later Luca, Lila, and Kaden show up. They said that they were going for a ride when they saw I was here, and they wanted to check on me. I'm still really unsure how to feel about this 'friendship' thing.

I am a lot less trusting than I was before things got bad at home. I try to not let my father and brothers actions define who I am, but sometime I just can't help it.

This is one of those times. Lila goes to hug me and before I realize what I am doing I take two steps back. Lila looks a tad offended and confused. And both the boys also look at me with looks of confusion before I ask them what horses they ride.

"I ride Mercury, Kaden rides Pilgrim, and Luca is riding Mystique until his finds a horse. His gelding passed away last summer and he hasn't found the right one yet." Lila says, recovering quickly.

"Those are all good horses. Mystique is one of my favorites."

"So how is your little brother doin." Luca asks.

"He is okay. Would you like to meet him." I ask.

"Yeah. By the way are we invited to his birthday party?" Luca says with a wink causing me to simultaneously blush and curse myself at the same time. I didn't even think about throwing him a party. We just don't have the funds for it right now.

"Oh. Uh. I don't think we are having a party this year. We don't really have the time. So-"

"How can you not throw him a party. He is turning ten. If you need a place to have it you can have it at our house." Luca says. His chastising voice irritates me. I know my brother deserves a party but I just don't have the money for it, as it is we are stretched thin, and that's with me working three jobs.

"Yeah. We would love to be able to help you give you little brother a birthday party." Kaden says, draping his arm around Lila's shoulder.

"We really don't have the money for it right now."

"Well we can provide food to and then all you would have to do is help decorate. We would love to." Lila practically begs.

"I can't ask you guys to do that. Its just not right. I should be able to throw him a party myself." I mumble the last part to myself. It was obvious they wouldn't let up, so eventually I gave in. I just don't know how I can repay them. And more importantly I don't know how I am going to explain why my parents aren't going to be there.

****************
I hope you all enjoyed this chap. I feel like it took me forever just to get through it.