Chapter 15

When we get to the park we lay out the blanket and set the snacks out. Lila packed Lays, Doritos, and Cheetos as well as several different M&Ms and sodas. I know its unhealthy but it tastes good. All of us girls lay on the blanket while the guys throw the football a couple feet away.

"So does Jerin know you like him?" I ask Blith who blushes bright red.

"What? I don't know what your.... No and I plan on keeping it that way. Besides he has a girlfriend." Blith replies.

"Why does he even date Emmi though. She is rude and obnoxious." Lila comments.

"His parents want him to date her 'cause it makes him look good. Her parents give a lot of money to his dads animal rescue and they think if the two of them break up then they will stop getting money. So he figured he would put up with her for the animals' sake." Blith says mater-of-factly.

"Did he tell you that?" I ask, raising my eyebrows at her.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Nothing, just seems like maybe he shouldn't be dating her and should be dating you instead. I mean he did confide in you."

"True but.." She is cut off when the guys come to sit down with us. "Hey guys."

"Hey." Jerin says, smiling at her while simultaneously shoving some Doritos in his mouth. "What are we talking about?"

"Nothing." We all reply at the same time, causing us to laugh.

We lay there in comfortable silence for a while until I sit up. I know this is as good a time as any to tell them. I can't keep pushing it off, but that doesn't mean I'm not hesitant. Lila and Luca see my face since they are on either side of me and they sit up.

"What is it Em?" Lila ask.

"I... I need to tell you. I can't keep it in anymore. But..." I trail off

"But what?" Luca asks as the others sit up.

"I'm just... I'm scared... Every time things seem to be going ok, something bad happens..." I say as tears start to form in my eyes.

"Em you can trust us with whatever it is." Lila says, putting her hand on mine.

They sat there for a second waiting for me to say something. Finally I decide what to say. I decided to only tell them about my mom and leave out any mention of my dad for now.

I finger my silver heart shaped necklace and its black vines that curl around it. My mom had given it to me so anytime I get nervous my hand goes to it instinctively. "When I was fifteen... My mom... She had cancer." I say, pausing as my voice breaks. I swallow then continue. "She didn't make it. And my dad and my older bothers couldn't take it. My older brothers left and my dad... He started drinking..." I have already said more than I meant to so I just leave it at that.

"Oh Em. I'm so sorry." Lila says as she, Blith, and Willow wrap me in hug.

"There is more to it but I'm not ready to tell that part of it." I say wiping away my tears.

"Thats all right." Lila says, holding me tighter. We sit like that for a couple seconds before we fall back into a comfortable silence. I lay my head on Luca's stomach and as he starts to play with my hair I start to fall asleep.

I am almost fully asleep when my phone goes off. I sit up and answer it without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?" I say into the phone slightly groggy.

"Emmy. You need to come home." I hear Maisy's voice say into the phone.

My back straightens and Lila and Luca sit up. "What? Whats wrong hun? Whats going on?" I ask trying to keep calm.

"Xavier's here looking for you and Lennon told me to tell you to come home." She replies.

"Alright I'm on my way. Tell Lennon it will only take me a minute. Okay?" I ask

"Okay."

Then hanging up the phone I hurriedly gather my things. "I have to go home Xavier is there and the kids are there as well. I will see you later." I say quickly heading to my truck. However Luca gets up and follows.

"I'm coming with you." He says. I am in to much of a hurry to fight him; so instead I just nod and I quickly drive us to my house. The whole way I am just praying that things wont get out of hand.