Chapter 30

I'm helping Lila clean up around the house when there's a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" Luca says as I wipe off the counter.

I hear the door open, and then a feminine voice saying "Hey Luca."

Lila stops what she's doing and goes to the door, and I hear her say in a voice that I had never heard her use before.

"You sure have a lot of nerve, coming back and showing your face again Kylie." She says, as Luca comes back into the kitchen, running both hands through his hair.

"Are you okay?" I ask, as he looks at me, his eyes are filled with worry and his mouth is drawn in a tight line.

"I don't know." He says, as a model walks in.

The girl was obviously an athlete, she wore knee high boots, tight skinny jeans, a burgundy long sleeve shirt, and an infinity a scarf. She had long wavy brown hair with blonde highlights, a fake tan, and hazel eyes.

When she sees me, she looks at Luca and back at me, and then back Luca.

"Who are you?" She asks, as Maisy, and Peter run in. They stop and look at the girl, and then at us, and the two slowly back out.

"Emerald. And you are?" I ask, as she huffs a laugh.

"Kylie. Luca's girlfriend." She says, as my heart drops.

"Oh." Is all I say, my back straightening as if I had a metal rod for a spine.

"Ex-girlfriend.  What do you want Kylie? I thought that you were in Alabama with what's his name." Luca says as Kylie leans against the counter.

"I thought that you might still miss me, and I was back in town, so I thought that I'd stop by." She says pulling out her phone, and started texting somebody.

I knew for a fact that it was one of Luca's 'turn offs' when a girl was constantly texting instead of giving their full attention to what they were doing.

"You thought wrong. Can you please leave Kylie?" Luca asks, as Kylie looks up, and gives him an innocent puppy dog look.

"I was hoping we could try again." She says, in a syrupy sweet voice.

"You left with your boy toy, Luca asked you to stay, Luca begged you to stay, but you wouldn't do it. He finally got over you, He doesn't love you any more, Kylie. Why now? Why come back? Did what's his face dump you for the next best thing?" Lila asks, her voice laced with venom.

"But I'm sure seeing me again has changed things. I know you feel it too, Luca. We are meant to be together." She says putting her hand on his chest. I clench my jaw.

"Are you really that self absorbed? You may be pretty but that doesn't mean you can just walk in here and act like nothing has changed. If Luca still loved you he probably would have at least mentioned your name." I say, as Kylie turns to me.

"What do you know about Luca that I don't already know? We grew up together, went to all the formals together, and we dated for two and a half years." Kylie says taking a step towards me.

"Luca may have loved you then but he sure as hell doesn't love you now. Get over it. Not everyone wants you." I snarl, as she throws her head back and laughs.

"Pah-lease! I love the whole tough girl act. I bet you couldn't take a hit. I bet you'd go running as soon as someone took a swing at you." Kylie challenges as my eyes narrow.

"Kylie, I wouldn't do that if I were you." Luca warns as I go toe to toe with her.

"You wanna put your money where your mouth is? Because I'll take that bet." I accept.

For a moment she wavers, not sure what to think. My fist clench and unclench.

"Whatever. Your not worth my time." She says and then walks out the door.

I can practically hear everyone relax after she leaves.  Lila goes back to cleaning and Kaden goes to check on the kids while Luca goes to sit on the couch, his head in his hand.

I stand there for a minute not sure what to do. I don't know if I should check on the kids or help Lila finish cleaning or if I should go to Luca.

I finally decide to talk to Luca. I ease myself down onto the couch next to Luca. Luca looks up at me.

"Emerald I'm sorry. I didn't-" I reach out and take his hand.

"There's nothing you have to be sorry about..." I say.

"I should have told you though."

"You don't... I mean your not still in love with her," my voice cracks, "are you?"

"No. No, of course not." Luca says, "That was a long time ago and we were both different people then."

I take a deep breath. As I lean my head on his shoulder, I already feel some of the knots in my stomach untying.

"Why?" He asks. I look up into his grey-blue eyes.

"No reason." I say, quickly looking away.

"Well there is another girl that I guess you should know about." His says with a smirk.

"Really?"

"Yeah she goes to the same college as me, she has red-brown hair, and beautiful green eyes. She's pretty amazing. I'm just not sure if she feels the same way I do, or if she wants the same things I do."

"Well how do you feel?" I ask, studying him.

"Well I really like her and I want to always be a part of her life and go on dates. I don't know if she is ready for a relationship or not though?" He says, his eyes flicking to my lips.

"Luca, I. I want those things to. It's just." I search for the right words. "My siblings would be there to, we are a package deal. I don't think it's a good idea to get you anymore involved than you already are."

"I love the kids Em. And I'm already involved. Emerald, I lo-like you a lot. I'm willing to give this a shot if you are." He says and I feel my heart leap into my throat and a whole zoo of butterflies are released inside my stomach.

I lean my head against his forehead. "So does this mean we are boyfriend and girlfriend?" I ask.

Luca puts one hand behind my head, the other still holding my hand, and he pulls me in for a kiss. When we pull away I smile, my head resting on his chest, "I'll take that as I yes."