Chapter 14

Early the next morning I take the kids to school, then stop back by the house to grab a couple papers for school. After tossing all my stuff in back of the truck I head to the cafe.

We had been sitting in the cafe talking and eating almost like I hadn't been a horrible friend. All of a sudden I see Xavier walk in and I freeze, praying he didn't see me.

"Are you ok Em?" Lila asks and I nod my head yes, my eyes never left Xavier. Until he looked over and saw me. I start to panic as he starts heading our way. It takes every bone in my body not to run. Lila places her hand on my arm and I snap out of it. I give them all a small smile. Luca saw how I was looking at Xavier and now looks ready for a fight.

"Hey Emmy. You got my letter right?" Xavier asks. "Hi. I'm Xavier you must be her new friends."

"Xavier why are you here?" I ask standing up in an attempt to make myself seem less inferrer.

"I told you in the letter. I missed you babe." He says 'sweetly' and goes to give me a hug. I don't fight him but I don't hug him back. Then he kisses me and I hear Luca's chair screech as he pushes it back from the table. I push Xavier away and take a step back.

"Xavier this probably isn't a good time. Maybe you should leave." I say looking down.

"But I just got here. Come on baby. Hey where are your lil kids. You still taking care of them? You know with you dad in.."

I cut him off with a glare. "OH. You mean you didn't tell them about your mom and your dad and all his..."

"Leave. Now Xavier."

"Fine I'll see you later." He replies before heading out. As I watch him leave I let out breath I hadn't known I had been holding and I rake my fingers through my hair.

I stare at the ground till Blith breaks the silence that has fallen over us.

"What did he mean. About your mom and dad and stuff?"

"I.. I can't do this now." I say turning on my heals and heading to my car. What I didn't expect to see was Xavier leaning on my truck door. He looks harmless, his blue eyes and light hair that he has spiked slightly in the front. However I know that under his perfect blue plaid shirt and jeans is a man who thinks he can just take what he deservers. I'm not saying he forced me to sleep with him but that's only because I was able to get away; weather it was by bitting his ear or scratching his face.

"What was all that about baby. Don't you miss me like I miss you." He says grabbing my arm and pulling me closer.

"Let go of her." I hear Luca's voice behind me and I am thankful that he followed me.

"Fine. But I'm not leaving." Xavier's gruff voice growls.

"Yes you are." Kaden says and I finally look behind me to see that they all followed me out.

"Fine. I will be back though this isn't over." He whispers in my ear and I shiver. I don't know what I ever saw in him.

Once Xavier has left they all turn to me, but I can't bring myself to face them.

"Em we need to know whats going on." Lila says and the others all nod in agreement.

"He is just an ex boyfriend. That's all there is to it." I say trying to hold back the tears.

"Em we all know there is more to this story." Blith says.

"You can trust us Emerald." Luca says.

"I know. It's just.. It's hard. The things you guys want me to tell you. I... I haven't told anyone about." I say, my voice little more than a whisper.

"Maybe we could help you if you tell us." Kaden says as Lila slips her hand out of his and grabs mine; nodding in agreement.

"I'm just not ready. I'm sorry but I'm not." I say looking at each of my new friends.

"That's alright. Just whenever you're ready we are here for you. If you ever need anything." Lila says.

"Thank you." I say giving her a hug.

"Your welcome." She replies, hugging me back.

"Can you at least tell us why he is here." Luca asks.

"I'm honestly not sure why he is here. He says he misses me but I don't know if that the real reason." I answer. Thinking back to all the times I spent with him I shiver, and I am mostly disgusted with myself for ever being with him. Luca notices and wraps his arms around me.

"If he ever touches you again let me know. I will gladly beat him up." Luca whispers in my ear, causing me to smile.

"I will."

"Good. I don't like how he was treating you." Luca says mostly to himself.

"Alright. Time to go to school." Lila says bringing us all back to reality.

"Alright. Lets go. Are we still going to the park later?" I ask.

"Definitely. Are your siblings coming."

"No they all have after school activities. And Lennon will be able to take care of them till I get home."

"All right." Lila says with a big smile.

"Ugh I don't wanna go to school" Luca says dramatically, laying his head on my shoulder and giving me puppy dog eyes.

"To bad you have to." I say giggling and ruffling his dark, shaggy hair before hopping up into my truck and heading to school.

Maybe I will tell them some of what happened when we go to the park. At least about Mom.

____________
(Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri)