Chapter 9

The next few days pass slowly. I had to take some time off of work during the day so I could stay with Peter. When Lennon gets home from school I head to work. We aren't getting as much money for the moment, so we have to push off buying presents until the day before the party.

Even though I have been saving up I decide to spend as little money as possible. Which means that instead of eating breakfast or getting coffee I just have a glass of milk. And instead of going to buy new boots I continue to wear my old ratty ones.

The kids don't know that I haven't been eating breakfast because Lennon would get onto me if she did. She has always been a firm believer of a healthy breakfast.

I do my class work between night shifts and I know that I am going to have to try harder once I get back to school. I have had all the school work I need thanks to Lila. I have to keep thinking up excuses of why I wasn't in class and why she shouldn't come to my house.

She is bent on us getting together to make plans for Peter's party. Eventually, after her tenth attempt, she gets me to agree to go to her house on Saturday to iron out the details.

****************

"So we can have it in the back yard. What kind of food does he like." Lila asks once we had settled on her porch swing. Luca sat across from us on the porch rail with the check list, Lila had handed to him, sitting on his lap.

"He doesn't like stuff very spicy. He doesn't really care for beans. And he isn't allergic to anything." I say softly.

"Ok, so we can have hotdogs and hamburgers. We can also have Doritos and Lays. And we can have a small fruit bar and small salad bar. Anything else?" She asks, quickly jotting down the things we need.

We go over the other party supplies and by the time they are finished I can hardly sit still.

"You guys really don't have to throw that big of a party. I mean thats a lot of stuff to buy. Are you sure you want to do this?" I ask worriedly.

"Of course we do. We are your friends. Plus Lila thrives on throwing parties for people." Luca says as Lila nods her head and gives me a hug.

"Thank you guys. I don't know what I did to make you want to be friends with me but I'm glad, and Peter is as well. He is very excited to have a party with his new friends." I say, walking toward my car with them.

"Well, we are glad to throw it. Remember 6:30 next Saturday. All you have to do is show up with the birthday boy." Lila says. "I can't wait to meet your other siblings."

"They are all excited to meet you as well." I say before I get into my car. "See you later."

As I drive away I can't help but wonder what exactly I am going to do when the truth finally comes out. I just hope it won't make them want to stop being my friend.