Chapter 24

Over the next few weeks Luca's mom and I have gotten very close. Her home has become my escape. We talk constantly, every time we talk she tells me stories about my parents. Talking to Kim seems to take away a lot of my stress.

I love learning more about what my mom was like when she was my age and the kids even visits with Kim sometimes. Its good for them, Maisy and Peter never got to know what Mom was really like because at that time she had been to sick to leave the house, or at times the hospital.

**********

Its Friday and I am cleaning up after lunch, when there was a knock at the door.

Setting the dishes in the sink I go to answer the door. Wiping my hand of on my jeans, I open the door.

I am shocked to see, standing there, in front of me is the man I never wanted to see again. I have to support my self with the door and my back is so strait it hurts. Fear bubbles inside me and it takes a moment till I can speak.

When I speak my voice wavers slightly, "W... What are you doing here? What do you want father?"

"I want Lennon and Maisy and Peter. They are my kids and you have no right to have taken them away from me. I am their dad." He says and I flinch when he inches closer.

"I do too. You are a cruel man. You got drunk and you killed two people. You have no right to call yourself our dad. Leave. Now." I say coldly.

"No! You ungrateful little bitch." He says moving closer again and I can smell alcohol on his breath. "Give me my children! Give them to me!" He grabs my arms and starts to shake me.

"No. I will not let you take them. You are no longer our father." I say, my courage wavering. This time he slaps me across my face. I feel the heat on my cheeks, almost like I can feel the bruise already forming. tears brim my eyes. I clutch my cheek with one hand and look up at him through my hair, to afraid to look him in the face this time.

"I am their father. I will come back. They better have their things packed and ready to go." He says turning away and going to his old car.

Once he is out of sight I crumple to the floor and cry while holding my cheek. I stay like that for a few seconds before getting up and heading out back were the kids are I barely look at them before telling them to go pack a couple things and meet me at the car. They don't argue and Lennon just puts her hand on my shoulder, then goes inside to pack.

********

"Where are we going?" Maisy asks once we get in the car.

"You guys are going to stay with Luca and Lila for a while. Okay?" I say. I keep my hair down around my face so that no one can see my failed attempt to cover the bruise on my cheek. I don't think anyone will notice but Lennon is very perceptive and I don't want to risk it.

"Yay! I love Uncle Luca and Aunt Lila." Maisy says, tears threaten to flow again but I hold them back.

"Alright lets go." I say putting the truck in park before helping Maisy get her things. Then we go up to the door and knock.

Lila answers the door and Luca comes over when he sees all of us at the door.

"Hey? What's up?" Lila and Luca ask together.

" We are having a person come spray for bugs at our house and the kids need a place to stay." I pause then continue with my request. "I was wondering if they could stay?"

"We are?" Maisy asks, and I just nod.

"Sure thing. What about you though?" Lila asks.

"I am going to stay to make sure everything goes well."

"Well I'm sure they don't need you to. Why don't you stay? We have plenty of room." Luca says and I think he might see through my lame excuse.

"No. Its fine."

"Please stay sissy. I want you to." Maisy says, reaching up to grab my hand.

"Yeah Emmy. I think you should stay as well the house will be fine they don't need you." Lennon says and I know she understands the real reason.

"Fine... but I have to go get some clothes."

"Alright we will see you when you get back. It's gonna be like a slumber party!" Lila says.

Then I head home and grab a few outfits, makeup, and my homework as well as work clothes. Then I lock the doors and head back to Luca's, praying the whole way that I didn't just make a big mistake.

______________
Thank you for reading I am trying to get as many updates in as I can before heading back to school on Monday. Please feel free to give me some feedback or any suggestions. I will not get offended if you correct my grammar or my spelling, I am always trying to better myself and my righting, the only way I can do that is if I have some help. Thanks again. <3

Authors note: I do not like cussing and I think it can make people sound uneducated. However I decided the father needed to say this so that it would show his character. I will always try my best to keep cussing at a minimum if I ever decide to use it for future chapters.