Chapter 13

Luca's POV

I stood with my arms wrapped around her and her crying into my shirt for what seemed like forever. I rest my chin on her head. After a few more seconds she pulls aways and wipes her tears. "You don't need to take me home. I'm good now." She says, her voice little more than a whisper.

"Em I can take you home and then I can pick you up in the morning to get your truck." I reply while taking out my keys.

"No. Its fine. Really. I have to be up really early and take the kids to school and I just... Thank you but I'm good. Honestly. I will see you tomorrow. Kay?" She asks and the look in her eyes tells me not to push it. I know if I do we will have lost the little bit of progress we just had. I know she isn't ready yet, but I'm willing to wait till she is.

"Okay. But if you ever need anything or need to talk... I'm here for you." I say, leaning in just a little bit.

"Thank you." She says and before she leaves she reaches up and gives me a peck on  the cheek. "Really, thank you."

Then she jumps in her truck, starts it up, and drives off.

I wait a few seconds before jumping in my truck and driving home. Later that night as I drift off to sleep she is the only thing on my mind. I run through all the conversations we have had and try to figure out what is going on with her until I finally give up and fall asleep. I'm not sure what it is she is so afraid of, but I do know I am going to find out.

*********************

Emerald's POV

I can't believe I let him see me like that. Or that I kissed him. Sure it was on the cheek but this is the closest I have gotten to a guy since I had been dating Xavier. Even then it wasn't like I had trusted him. I had been dating him before the car crash. Mostly we would just hang out. I used him as a distraction from the abuse. We never really talked just kissed. It wasn't love, so when he started wanting more I broke it off. I had just broken up with him the day of the crash that's why my dad was driving. He came to pick  me up so I could do chores.... And then we crashed.. I will live with the guilt from that forever.

That's why I haven't been allowing myself to fall for Luca. I guess I'm not doing a very good job at keeping my distance though. My mind says to stay away from him, from all of them, but my heart wants to be a part of their group.

When I pull up to the house the lights are all on. I don't think anything of it at first until I see Lennon's worried face.

"What's wrong." I ask walking into the living room.

Lennon hands me a letter and I unfold the paper and start to read the dark scrawling words.

Dear Emerald,

I miss you, I know you probably hate me after how we left things. However I have been thinking of you lately. I have decided to come for a visit. I got your new address from one of your old employers. can't wait to see you again. See you soon.

                                                Love,
                                                Xavier

I sink onto the couch the paper still in my hand. The words take a while to sink in. When they do I look up at Lennon.
"I guess you already read this." I say and receive only a nod. "We will deal with this tomorrow. It's been a long day, I'm just gonna go to bed."

"Okay. Goodnight. I will see you in the morning." Lennon says, heading to her room.

I'm too tired to think about this right now so instead I just go to sleep.