Chapter 21

After we drop off the kids Max and I head to the cafe.

"Hey guys. This is my oldest brother, Max." I say, taking my seat by Luca. "Max this is Lila and Luca, they are twins by the way. Then there is Jerin, Blithe, Willow, Kaden, Lila's boyfriend, and Sebastian." I point to everyone in turn.

"Hi nice to met you. So Luca are you and my little sister dating?" Max says and I blush crimson, choking on my strawberry smoothie.

"Ah, no Max we are not dating." I glare at my brother.

"Alright. If you say so." Max says in my ear and I elbow him in the stomach. "Hey." Max says, still laughing at my red face.

"Ok. Em who is better, Batman or Superman?" Blithe asks me.

"Oh Batman, definitely. Batman doesn't need super powers to be able to save people and he has all the cool gadgets. It's really a no-brainer." I say matter-of-factly.

"Yes thank you. See Jerin. I told you batman was better."

"Yeah but Superman has super powers. And he can fly." Jerin defends.

"Batman flies to he just flies in a different way than superman. And superman has that kryptonite thing." Blithe says back.

"Fine. Whatever. But Superman follows the law as well."

"Batman would too but he does what he know needs to be done." Blithe says.

As Blithe and Jerin continue there debate over Superman and Batman the rest of us start talking about school and other things.

"So, Max what brought you here?" Luca asks.

"Well I left shortly after our Mom passed away, so I had recently decided to find Emmy and my family." Max responds.

"Yeah and he wanted to invite me to his wedding." I say nudging Max's side.

"Yeah. That to."

"So. Why did you leave? Was it for school?" Lila asks.

"Um. No I left with my band. My mom and I had been really close. I guess we were all close to her but I was stupid and thought there was no reason to stay. So I left and tried to make it on my own. That only worked for about a year. Then I found a real job." Max answers.

"Where do you work?"

"I work on a farm in Tennessee. I mostly help keep up the barn and give hay to horses, stuff like that. It's actually where I met Julie, my fiancé."

"Aww that's awesome. Do you guys have a wedding date yet?"

"No we wanted to wait till after I found Emmy and them."

"That's cool. I guess you and Emerald were close when you were younger."

"Yeah we liked to hang out together a lot. We liked to go to the park together. I was probably closes to him when we were younger." I say nudging Max.

"Yeah do you remember that time I was hanging out with one of my friends and you had the hugest crush on him. It was annoying at first cause she was always hanging out with us, but now its just funny." Max says, laughing at me.

"Hey he had a couple horses of course I liked him." I say, rolling my eyes.

We all laugh and talk some more before we have to leave.

"I like your friends they are nice. And by the way when is your next class?" Max asks as we drive home.

"My next class is Monday."

"So could we all go to church together tomorrow." I glance over at Max. I'm shocked because Max never really liked going to church. So Max voluntarily going to church is new to me.