Chapter 22

Max had left for home the day before, so I was catching up on laundry when there is a knock at the door. When I open up I see a very disheveled looking Luca. His hair is a mess and he looks slightly out of breath.

"Luca whats wrong?" I ask, opening the door wider and stepping out on the deck.

"It's Lila. She was standing on a stool to put some dishes on the top shelf and she lost her balance and fell. She broke her arm and is now in the hospital, they also think she might have a slight concussion. We are all going to the hospital. Kaden is already there, I just thought I would come get you first." He replies.

"Oh... Umm. I don't know it will probably already be crowded and... I'm not really needed there so..."

"No it will be fine Kaden and I are actually the only ones who will stay and I know Lila would like to see you."

"Alright. Just let me put on shoes and tell Lennon where I am going. Then I'll be right back."

"Alright. I'm going to go start the truck."

I run back into the house, grab my purse, then I let Lennon know where I am headed.

"Are you sure. You haven't been back to a hospital since-" I cut Lennon off.

"I know Lennon. But I'm sure I will be fine. Don't worry Len, it'll be ok. If I feel a panic attack coming on I will leave. Now I have to go. I will see you in a lil bit." I say putting on my shoes then head out the door.

"Alright. Lets go." I say to Luca, then we head of to the hospital.

******************

When we get to the hospital Luca gets out of the car, however I stay in the truck a moment longer. "You coming?" Luca asks.

"Yeah." I say, taking a deep breath before getting out of the truck and heading in. As soon as I walk in the automatic doors I am hit by the pungent sanitary smell. A wave of nausea hits me and I feel as hough I might pass out. Then under the smell of bleach is the smell of sickness, smoke, blood, and death. Thousands of memories, from mom's hospital visits and the crash, all come back to me at once and I have to lean against the wall to stand up.

I slide to the floor and put my head in my hand. I start to hyperventilate and then cry. I am vaguely aware of Luca next to me, he is trying to say something but I don't really understand. "Em. Emerald. Its okay." He sets his hand in my shoulder, managing to calm me down slightly.

"I... I can't. I can't do it. I thought I could but I can't. I can still smell the smoke" I say to myself and my voice wavers. "Just go check on Lila and I will meet you at the truck." I say, finally gaining some composure and heading out of the building.

I wipe my tears and sit on a bench outside the hospital where I stay till Luca comes out.

**********
About thirty minutes later Luca comes out of the hospital and sits down next to me.

"Em, I.... What happened in there?" He asks after a long pause.

"I.. Um.. You know how I told you about my mom and the cancer. It's the first time I have been in a hospital since. Since then... I guess it just brought back the memories." I finish, looking away, unable to look at him because if my lie, instead u stare at the passing cars. I bite my lip and look down again.

"Emerald, you said something about smoke." Luca says causing me to freeze.

I put my head in my hands and then rubbing my eyes, I take a deep breath, sit up, then look at him. "I was in a car crash." I pause before continuing. "My dad was driving. He was drunk and... We hit another car. The couple in the other car they... They didn't make it. He went to jail and my siblings and I came here. When I said something about smoke it was because the other car had caught on fire. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I haven't told anyone and I didn't-" I trail off as another tear escapes.

"Em. It's fine. I understand." Luca says, pulling me into his side, kissing the top of his head.

We stay that way for a few seconds before Luca speaks again. "Alright, lets go. I say we get something to eat." Luca stands up and offers me his hand.

"Alright. Where to?" I ask, grabbing his hand. He pulls me up easily and we walk to the truck.

"Hmm. I'm thinking we should go get burgers."

"Sounds good to me." I say, allowing just a hint of a smile creep into my face.