Chapter 33 - Red Robin and Exes

*MATT POV*

I love Nini. I'll admit. And we've had an amazing time "fake" dating. We spend all of our time together. We kiss. We hold hands. We cuddle. We watch movies. We go on dates. We post each other on Instagram. Everyone knows we're dating. Her family and my family are obsessed with us. All of our friends love us. They think we're adorable. We are honestly an ideal couple. Too bad it's not real. It's been months.

I don't want to tell her I like her, because if she doesn't feel the same way that would ruin everything. I love having her as my girlfriend. Even if it's "fake." I try to push away my feelings, but I can't. I imagine that it's real.

It's almost Christmas break. We made a plan. The first 2 weeks of break we're visiting my family in New Hampshire and the last 2 weeks of break we're visiting her family in Salt Lake City. I'm so excited. It's like we aren't even fake-dating.

Nini's still not on good terms with her friends so she wants to make up with them and have me meet them. I'm a little nervous. That Ricky guy...

We were heading to New Hampshire tomorrow. We packed and I loaded my car. I was in her apartment. We're going to have dinner tonight (order in of course) together.

"Mattie?"

"Yeah?"

"What do you want for dinner? I'll call it in."

"What do you want?"

"Hmm...Red Robin??"

"That is an amazing idea."

Our Red Robin came in. While devouring it we watched our favorite TV show to binge: Young Sheldon. It's like nothing could ruin this "date".

That was until I got a text from...

Why is my ex texting now?? Out of all days, now?? If my ex is going to text she needs to work on her timing

I ignored it. But Nini saw the look on my face. "What's wrong, Matt?"

"Ah..it's nothing." I lied.

"It's something Matt. I can tell."

Curse my obvious facial expressions, but Nini would've known anyway.

I took a deep breath and sat up from my lying position, "My ex girlfriend...she texted me. I think she wants to get back together."

*NINI POV*

"My ex-girlfriend...she texted me. I think she wants to get back together."
"oh."

What? Does he want to date her? If so, why did he seem disgusted? I know we were faking it, but...

"Well, that's great...I guess our plan worked?" I laughed nervously trying to hide my discomfort, a feeling I usually don't have with Matt. I usually have genuine laughs with him.

"I guess...why don't you text Ricky?"

WHAT? IS HE ACTUALLY CONSIDERING DATING THIS EX?!? HE WAS A PERFECT FAKE BOYFRIEND. I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW AMAZING HE WOULD BE AS A REAL BOYFRIEND. I DON'T WANT TO LOSE HIM.

I can kind of feel my heart beginning to rip.

"Um...yeah. Maybe I should." I cleared my throat. "Do... Do you want to get b-b-back together with her?" I say stuttering.
"I don't know. Maybe?"

There was a long and awkward silence. He "maybe" wants to get back with his ex? What is that supposed to mean?

"Well...I should head out...let's not tell our families until after break. They'll be devastated." I say as I recall our moms talking about our actual wedding.

"Yeah...okay. Bye." He quietly left my room and closed the door.

I waved my hand and managed to smile.

What just happened? We weren't technically dating, but this felt like a break up.

a/n: oh no