Chapter 45 - the truth

*RICKY POV*

I'm so dumb. I should've realized that she would've liked Matt again. I just wanted Nini back, and now I wasted 3 days here in New York, missing school.

I guess I'll go back home. Maybe Lily is my best choice at this point, even though we broke up.

Nini was being so dramatic. I didn't really insult Matt. I'm not a mean guy. I got a 3rd chance with Nini. And I royally screwed it up. Back to California, I go.

Nini hates me again. I am sensing a trend.

*NINI POV*

The next few days were...actually quite enjoyable, which may be surprising because I literally have a concussion. Matt and I got to know each other a little more. I learned that he's in college majoring in acting, which is what I want to do so that's cool. Am I crushing on a college kid? How scandalous of me. I'm kidding, of course, he's literally like a year older than me. He also has a little sister named Charlotte, and he's been in 18 musicals. He's very much a theatre kid, which is nice because I am too. Matt was coming to the hospital to drive me home (I insisted that he should sleep in his own bed for once). The doctor said that I could leave today as long as I had someone to drive me, and Matt offered because my moms aren't here for some reason.

I exited the hospital doors, and BOY was it refreshing. I've only been trapped in this building for 3 days, but it was somewhat suffocating. Probably because it's a hospital.

"Hey, Nini!" Matt yelled from his light purple jeep. I laughed heading over to it. That's quite the car.

I buckled myself once I got in. "Thanks for giving me a ride." I looked around, the area did not seem familiar. It was much busier than I remember.

"No problem!" He responded as he started driving.

After a while of driving and talking, Matt's phone lit up with a notification. We got to a red light, so Matt pulled up his phone to look. I didn't pay much attention to it until I saw myself in his background. I was in a jean jacket with a white shirt and a short red skirt. I looked really happy. Why would I be in his background though? Especially since he wasn't in the picture. I remember that he was in mine too? I still haven't changed mine.

Should I be creeped out? No, Matt's a nice guy. I feel like I can trust him. I feel safe with him. It was a really cute picture of me too, and someone would have had to take it of me because it wasn't a selfie.

Why would he have a picture of me? Unless...

We've met before. We had to, but how would've I forgotten him. He's amazing.

Unless Ricky like...I don't know...sent it to him. But that's kinda weird.

I quickly looked away. Maybe it wasn't even me. I only saw it for like a second. But then again, who else would it be? I don't think he has a girlfriend.

I must've looked disgruntled or something because Matt turned to look at me and asked, "You okay? You look like you just saw a ghost. " He laughed. He's got a nice laugh.

"Yeah," I nervously laughed.

"Good, I can't have you getting a concussion again, Neen." He joked.

Neen?

The way he said it was so...

Familiar.

But, it wasn't familiar with how Ricky said it. It was almost...specific to him.

"So Mattie," He smiled at this. It was a very noticeable smile. I guess he liked the nickname, "when's your birthday?" I asked. I know he's in college, so he has to be around 20. But, if we get closer, I need to know his birthday so I can get him a present.

"It's April 18th." He replied.

I raised an eyebrow waiting for more.

He noticed. "2004."

"Really?" I was born in 2003...unless he's like a prodigy there's no way that he's in college before me...it would have to be at the same time...?

Then a thought crossed my mind.

Am I in college then? How could I just forget a few years of my life, and if I did, then why did everyone go along with it? Why was Ricky acting like my boyfriend? If I forgot years, it was possible that I forgot so many people too. Unless Matt skipped a few grades, but he looks the same age, if not older than me. Not to mention, this town doesn't look like Salt Lake at all, it looks like LA or New York...

"Matt, I need to ask you a question. Two, actually.

"Okay, what's up?"

Moment of truth.

I cleared my throat. "What year is it? And are we in Salt Lake right now?" I raised my eyebrows.

He sighed and pulled to the side of the road. He looked me deeply in the eyes, "Do you want the truth, or do you want me to tell you what the doctors told me to say?"

I've prepared myself for this.

"The truth."

He sighed, "Nini, you're in college. It's 2023. We're in New York City."

a/n: hehe