Chapter 40 - Senior Year

*MATT POV*

Nini's friends tried to comfort me, but I couldn't even smile. There is not anything to smile about right now. The doctor came back to talk to me, "is someone with Nini?"

"Yeah."

"Are you okay?"

No. She couldn't even remember me. I feel almost emotionless. Dead inside. Empty, without Nini.

The tears were still falling, "Will she ever remember?"

She sadly looked at me, "maybe, maybe not. There's no way to know. Don't overstress her, but you'll have to work with her to get those memories working."

"How?"

"After a few weeks,  her head will be healed, but that doesn't necessarily mean the memories will be back. You can show her pictures or videos. Talk about memories. Bring her to places where you went before. Keep her calm though. Maybe reintroduce yourself completely into her life. It gives you a chance to restart."

"BUT I DON'T WANT TO RESTART." I felt a huge lump in my throat. I took a breath, "I'm sorry for yelling. This is really hard for me...and I just don't-"

"It's okay. I totally understand. Is there anything else she doesn't remember?"

"I-I don't know. She's only seen her ex, me, and her parents. She remembers all of them, except..." I faltered.

"When did you and Nini meet?"

"Last year, we spent everyday together."

"Hmm...I wonder if-I wonder if it's like a certain time period in her life that she thinks it is? Like she thinks she hasn't met you yet?"

"Is it even possible to just forget like 2 years of your life?"

"Unfortunately, it can happen. Ask her what year it is, or have someone ask her."

"Okay..."

"I have to go. Good luck."

"Thanks."

*RICKY POV*

Matt peeked his head in and told me to come talk to him. "Dude..everything okay?" I asked.

"Ask Nini what year she thinks it is."

"Do you think-" he nodded sadly. "Okay."

*MATT POV*

"Okay."

He went over to bed and said, "Nini? Honey? What year it is, I forgot!" He laughed. Making a story for asking her.

"Silly Ricky!" She touched his face and smiled. I can't watch this. I can't have this going on forever. I can't-. She responded, "it's our senior year! 2021!"

"Oh-" basically everyone in the room and in the hall said.

I left again, needing time to contemplate what to do. I sat back in the chair as the doctor came back, "so?"

"She thinks it's her senior year in high school. It's our sophomore year in college...She wouldn't have met me."

"It'll be okay. Just do all the things I told you to do, and keep working toward her remembering."

"Ok, thank you." She walked away, as I went to the bathroom to clean up my face. I had to see Nini again.