chapitre vingt

I watched the ballerinas dance and twirl. 

They were elegant and graceful, every movement as fluid as water gently cascading over rocks in a riverbed. Their fingers were even dancing, extending into the sky for a touch of the stars and stardust would grant them eternal passion. They kept in rhythm with the music, from fast-paced to leisurely, drawing goosebumps from all over my skin. 

With it, came tears. 

One ballerina, in particular, had my attention because the spotlight on her had been stolen. I knew the steps of the dance she performed, had memorized them for months, was practicing them when I fell, and now I watched Eliana perform everything that was mine. 

She was no less graceful, and her pirouettes were strong with confidence. Not once did she waiver on her turns, she lost nothing in the moment, only my dreams burned before my eyes. 

It should have been me. 

More tears gathered in my eyes until they slid down my cheeks and fell. They weren't in awe of the beautiful performance anymore, as some of the audience may be, they were in grief. 

Grief, for I knew that my fate was sealed. 

That would never be me again. 

A hand covered my own. I sniffled and glanced up at Auden. He was seated closest to me, and his honey eyes were sad beyond words as he watched me crumble into pieces. I thought I had been strong enough to endure this. 

We had arrived in a flurry of cameras flashing, questions shouted, and people closing in for a fresh cut of my pitiful story. I had declined to make a comment, smiled, and posed, and then we made it inside. There was no panic attack, no fright from the press, and I had thought it was a sign I was doing better. 

Except pretending made everything worse.

I had been to Broadway for a tour once before. It was even more breathtaking when every seat in the house was filled. Thousands of people waited for the giant velvet curtain to draw up and reveal the posed ballerinas.  The first strike of music from the in-house orchestra would befall silence as the audience waited to be astounded. 

There were several performances scheduled tonight, I had no clue how Auden got all of us tickets in so little time. I would thank him for everything. 

But now, the real emotion reared its ugly head. I had felt the ache beneath my sternum but I had ignored it for a racing heart. My undoing happened when Eliana stepped out. A thief in the spotlight applauded for a performance that lacked genuinity. It was all a game to her. 

At least I had the decency to pour my heart into it. 

I managed to convince Auden that I was okay without speaking words. He hesitantly nodded and we continued to watch the performances. I held my breath when Lucy stepped out onto the stage, Ilya an arm's length away from her. They posed, waiting for the musical cord that would unravel their passionate dance, and then they twirled like hearts on the same string. 

They were good partners, one of the same.

I watched them flawlessly dance together, in tune with the melody of their hearts. She was phenomenal with a partner. She was light on her feet and like I, she put her every heartbeat into the soul of the dance. The audience was captivated beyond the end of their performance, it took a long moment before applause rang out. Then, people stood. 

A standing ovation. 

It was then I saw the bright future for my best friend. I wouldn't be surprised if she received several contracts after this, which happened often at large events like this. There were people in the crowd looking for talent, seeking the hidden gems, and snatching them when found.