chapitre dix-huit

I flew through the front door of my apartment. 

We had stopped at a deli and I bought lunch for Anton. I wouldn't consider it a bargaining chip when I knew Warren wanted security footage. I had meant to buy Anton lunch for a while since he had saved me from the first wave of paparazzi. My security guard only tipped his head kindly and handed a miniature tape to Warren and then we were back on the elevator. 

Warren had just stepped off the elevator on my floor when I skipped down the hallway in front of him. My pain didn't bother me, letting me have a moment of my own. I was riding an adrenaline high and it was familiar. It left me breathless and tingling in the same way a perfect performance did. This kind of happiness was something I thought I could only achieve from ballet. 

Never underestimate the power of family. 

"Aida?" Auden was the first voice I heard. His head poked around the corner from the kitchen and hazel eyes met mine, "Are you alright?" 

"I'm fantastic," I breathed. I moved towards him and dumped the watercolor supplies from my arms onto the countertop. My attention drifted from Auden, who wore a shocked expression, to River. He watched me with scrutiny. I vaguely heard Warren close the front door that I had left wide open and he circled the counter to stand opposite of me. 

All three of them just stared at me. 

"What?" I asked and my hand automatically flew to my face, "Is there something on my face?" Only then did I realize I was smiling. Except it wasn't just a smile offered in half-wits, I was beaming, hard enough that it hurt my cheek muscles.

Auden was hesitant when he asked, "Did you take your painkillers again?" 

I shook my head. "Warren took me out on his motorcycle! It was the best experience, I mean, I was terrified but I trusted you," My gaze flickered to Warren briefly, "We went out of the city and got ice cream and picked up watercolor supplies--he's going to teach me to paint!" 

Did I realize I sounded like a sugar-loaded five-year-old? 

River slowly cracked into a small grin and he chuckled softly whilst unfolding his arms. I hadn't realized before that he looked like he had been bracing himself for something. What? I probably could have guessed. Bad news had a habit of running my life lately. 

"Oh, little Aida, I'm happy for you," Auden grinned down at me. He had come to stand by my side, and he slung his arm over my shoulders. I didn't miss the fresh scent that clung to him and I noted his hair was still damp. "If I had known that taking you out would make you this happy, I would have booked us a flight to Italy for the weekend." 

I abruptly pulled away from him, eyes widening. "You can do that?" 

Auden's grin only widened, amusement in his gaze. He ruffled my hair. "Of course I can, I happen to be a world-famous fashion designer. You didn't forget that one tiny little detail did you?" 

"Well, no," I softly batted his hand with my own and gave a shove against his ribs. He only laughed. "Just because you are famous doesn't make you any more special." 

His hand flew over his heart. "Aida," He cried, "You've just ruined my entire life, how could you?" 

"You deserved it," Warren grumbled. 

Auden pointed an accusing finger. "You shouldn't have taken her out," He quipped. It took me a solid minute to realize he was simply initiating payback, from when Warren had said the same thing my first time out after my diagnosis. 

"Oh, shove it," was Warren's response. He rolled his eyes and turned away to open my refrigerator, but I caught his quiet grumble. "You can't tell me I didn't help."