chapitre deux

one day before

Epiphany is a beautiful moment. 

It is the breath of a second in which the lungs do not know air. It is the blink of an eye when life itself yields to the power of destiny. It is the golden hour where nothing else in the world matters, except the sunlight, holding you captive for just a heartbeat. 

I simply couldn't breathe. 

Yesterday, we left practice without knowing the roles for our upcoming performance on Broadway. Mrs. Jules had been attending meetings with the directors and barely mentioning a word to us. Sometimes, those directors would watch us practice. Sometimes, I thought my nerves would fray into burning threads. 

Now, we were gathered in a single file line. 

Mrs. Jules stood with two other women, their business suits drawing a nervous gulp from me. Today was the day they chose. I knew it. The moment Mrs. Jules walked into the studio with those people trailing behind her, and asked us to present ourselves, I knew this was my moment. 

It had to be. 

I barely let my heart beat as I listened to the women name the people beside for the roles, from the smallest, background performances, until I realized only Eliana and I hadn't been named. For a moment, we spared each other a challenging glance. Her eyes were full of hate and arrogance, an emotion bound to destroy her grace. My only nemesis.

I turned my eyes back to Mrs. Jules.

"We've decided on our lead role," Mrs. Jules spoke in a pleased manner, hands folded in front of her in a professional manner, "It was a close decision, but we've been settled on it given yesterday's practice session."

"She has shown exceptional talent, and has proven that she doesn't bend beneath the pressure," Mrs. Jules continued to bait the suspense, causing Eliana to raise her chin, but I didn't acknowledge my nemesis beyond my peripheral vision. When Mrs. Jules eyes met mine, there was fondness in them; and I knew then, even as she said, "Aida Valievo, we're honored to announce that you will be the lead on the Broadway Show."

This was all a dream. 

"Oh my gosh," I whispered. Lucy crashed into me, wrapping her arms around me and squeezing until I wasn't sure what would suffocate me--her, or the shock. "Oh my gosh!"  I repeated with realization and then I returned her rib-crushing hug. It was as if I returned to reality, from my moment on cloud nine, and I heard my fellow dancers cheering. Eliana had disappeared from the room.

"Congratulations!" 

Ever since I was a little girl, I had watched ballerinas perform on Broadway. I had copied them, dreamed about what it would be like, wished to be them. I wanted the television to grant me the ability to step into their world. Just for one day, even just for the breath of a second so I could experience the thrill of such grace. 

Now, I had become the ballerina I had grown up watching.

She was me. In just two weeks, I would dance on live television. In front of thousands and thousands of people, I would hold the attention of the world as I took on the lead role. Even the thought of it drew goosebumps over my body, I could hardly believe it.