chapitre cinq

I hugged Lucy. 

She had stayed late into the night with us. Mostly because I needed her as moral support and she had happily obliged. My nerves hadn't completely settled now that my three older brothers were here. Our conversations remained casual, light, and as far away from why they were here as possible.

"Don't worry," She told me, quietly, and pulled back but keeping her hands on my shoulders, "They're your family, if anyone in the world will understand, it's them." 

"What if they're mad?" I whispered. 

She gently slapped my cheek. "Girl, listen to yourself. You sound ridiculous. You can't control what's happening right now, and it's not like you chose this, so let someone be there for you. It might be hard at first, for all of you," She gave me another brief hug. "But you don't have to do this alone." 

"Thanks, Lucy," I mumbled into her shoulder until she pulled away once more, and actually turned to leave my apartment for the night. I would have asked her to stay if I had one more room, but I knew she had responsibilities, and I couldn't be selfish in taking up her time anymore. She had practice in the morning, and Mrs. Jules wouldn't be tolerant of her tardiness much longer. She had a normal life awaiting her tomorrow. "Text me when you get home, okay?" 

"I will," She called back, "Good night!" 

"Night," I replied quietly although she had already closed the front door to my apartment. I let out a long breath before I stepped forward and flicked the lock. I might have been a little more paranoid and slid the deadbolt but with three men in my apartment, I didn't really think an intruder would have the chance to even break in. 

I walked back into my living room. 

Auden and River still occupied my couch whilst Warren had opted for the armchair in the corner of the living room. I often curled up in that chair and read books while it rained. Sometimes, I read late into the night while the city lights kept me company. 

"I'm sorry but I only have two bedrooms," I explained to them, "But we set up a rather large cot in the one bedroom, so two of you will have to share, and the other gets an entire room to themself. I left it up to you guys to decide who wants to bunk together." 

Warren didn't say anything.

Auden nodded, "Don't apologize, Aida, it's totally fine," and then immediately turned his head towards River, "You don't mind sharing, do you?" 

"As long as you don't call me a cunt the entire time," River sighed. 

Auden chuckled in return. "Maybe I can sacrifice my favorite word. Or maybe I can just annoy you enough that you opt to take the couch--" which he patted for extra emphasis--"then I'll get the entire room to myself so I snore as much as I please, and not have to listen to you complaining about it. Cunt." 

River rolled his eyes, "I don't remember you being so infuriating."

"I don't remember you being so sensitive." 

"I'm not."

"Yes, the fuck, you are." 

I just stood there until they quieted, and then I cleared my throat. "Alright, well, I'll show you to your rooms then." 

I had never felt small in my life. I was easily five foot six, which had always worked in my favor with my career, but with three grown men following me; their shadows were even taller than me. I pushed open the first guest room, it was a little smaller than the other rooms but it had a nice window bench that I often used.