chapitre neuf

I wasn't prepared for the surprises today. 

A few days ago when my brothers arrived in New York City, I didn't realize they had driven vehicles from the airport; I had just assumed they had used the taxi or uber services. 

I realized I was wrong when we took the elevator to the parking garage. 

I didn't have a vehicle, so I never went lower than the lobby level. Another cool thing about the city was the underground parking garages. They really utilized minimal space because everyone who lived in this apartment complex didn't have to fight for street parking, they had an assigned space, and any additional if they requested for temporary guests. Of course, there was a small fee, and I made a mental note to pay it so my brothers wouldn't get ticketed. 

Auden led the way out the elevator, a few steps ahead of me, while River was just a step behind me. I found parking garages slightly creepy but this one was well lit and secure from the public. I was pretty sure there was security down here.

I gasped out loud when I saw the first car.  I didn't even register Auden's slight smirk as he cast it over his shoulder as we drew closer and then I stopped walking altogether when I saw the second car. They were beasts, sitting idle in a parking garage of mediocre vehicles. 

Beneath the fluorescent lights, they were of midnight and shadow and everything colorless. The matte black finish was drool-worthy, their sleek body designs accented by nothing more than shadows. I had never seen more beautiful vehicles. There were some pretty impressive luxury cars on the streets of New York City from time to time, driven by powerful people, and I would only catch glimpses. 

But these two belonged to my brothers. 

An Audi R8 and BMW M3. 

I didn't even have to ask whose was whose. Auden had always loved Audi growing up, he had even collected the matchbox cars of every model. An Audi R8 was his dream car. 

"Do you like them?" River's voice was low and pleasant. 

"Like them?" I asked, breathlessly, as I turned my head to him, "I love them. I can't believe you guys own these!" 

"Don't you have a car?" Auden asked. 

I shook my head, my eyes drifting back to their cars. "I haven't a need for one in the city like this."

"You wanna drive?" 

"Me? Drive one of these?" My eyes widened at Auden's suggestion, "Oh, no. I don't think that's a good idea. I haven't driven since I was seventeen."

"There's no time like the present." 

Just to emphasize the meaning of his words, the LED headlights of his Audi flickered to life, illuminating the three of us standing before it. A keyfob rested in his hand, which I assumed he had triggered the lights with. 

"Who said we're taking yours?" River spoke up smoothly, and then he pressed a button on his keyfob, and the roar of his BMW automatically starting sent shivers down my spine. I loved sports cars. 

"Hey--" Auden started to say but River cut him off. 

"You coming, Aida?" River asked me, and I realized he had already approached his idle beast. He opened the passenger door, and tilted his head to signal for me to get in. If I wasn't watching him closely, ever searching for a lead on his emotions, I might have missed the little inclination.