chapitre vingt-sept

Flickers of streetlights illuminated the road. 

It was late enough in the evening that not many cars drove on this road. I didn't remember taking this road on the way to dinner, it seemed to be more on the outskirts rather than in the heart of the great city.

I was content with my stomach full of delicious food and dessert. I didn't even care that my cheeks hurt from smiling tonight or that the muscles in my abdomen protested when I breathed too deeply from laughing.

I absentmindedly drew circles in my thigh, trying to ignore the dull throb that reminded me that I needed my painkillers as soon as we got home. A set of headlights followed us. Auden's car nearly blended in with the night, only the bright LED headlights giving it away, as it winked in the night.

A prowling beast following a predator.

I was sure that River's car blended in with the night just as well. If he were to turn off his headlights, I bet no one would find his car. At that thought, I turned my head slightly to look at my older brother. He drove with one hand on the top of the steering wheel but his other arm was propped up on the door, his fingers resting beneath his chin. He looked to be deep in thought as he drove, only the glint of his wristwatch giving away his movements. 

We approached a red light. 

Coasting to a stop, I admired the blaring red colors that reflected off the surface of the smooth pavement. It seemed so surreal in the real world, an illusion that didn't exist. I didn't realize that Auden pulled up beside us. River shifted slightly in his seat, lowering his arm. 

Auden revved his car. 

A slow grin spread across River's face. I watched him with a furrowed brow until he revved his car in return, as if to answer whatever was spawning between them. "Aida, are you buckled in?" River asked me, his eyes flashing devilishly. 

"Uh... yeah?" I looked down to make sure I had buckled my seatbelt, and I distinctly remembered doing so before we even left the parking lot. "Why?" 

"Just checking." 

The two engines of their powerful cars revved again. 

"What's going on?" I asked, my fingers tightening around the seatbelt over my chest. 

River placed both hands on the steering wheel. "You'll find out," was all he told me. A devilish smirk ghosted his lips. 

"River--" 

I didn't get to finish my sentence. The moment the light turned green, dancing across the concrete as a jolly laugh, I heard squealing tires. Burning rubber hit my nose as the roar of powerful engines drowned out my own small, terrified scream. 

River's car lurched forward with enough power to sink me into the leather seat. I found myself holding onto the seatbelt across my chest with my left hand while my right hand gripped the door handle beside me. I barely registered the challenge of Auden's car right beside us as he took a small lead. 

It was then I realized this was a race. Not just any race, though, for Auden and River; it was Audi versus BMW. 

May the worst car lose. 

"Isn't this illegal?" I said loud enough so he could hear me. I wanted to close my eyes but I kept them open and watched the dotted lines of the road become a blur like ghosts skittering through our world and theirs. Streetlights flickered by like strobe lights in a club, and I swallowed to keep my stomach down because it seemed overwhelming in the moment. I'd never been in a car going this fast, I didn't dare look at the speedometer.