Chapter 3

Madaline wouldn't leave me alone for the next three days. She was so sure that Scarlette was my girlfriend, even though I told her plenty of times that she isn't. We're in math class right now, and instead of taking notes, she's pestering me about a girlfriend that I don't even have. She wonders why she doesn't pass her quizzes, or tests. I write down the last notes for the day before packing up. The bell is going to ring any minute now, and I'd like to be one of the first people out of here. Madaline packs up at the last second and the bell ends up ringing. I offer to wait for her, but our teacher says he needs to speak with her.

"Go. Tell Mr. Harvey, I'll be a little late to class."

I nod and leave the class with my backpack slung over my shoulder. Mr. Harvey is our science teacher and he's a pretty understanding person. Unless you disrespect him, or another student one too many times. Then he gets serious. We've seen it once and no one really wishes to see him angry again. He becomes a scary dude.

Making it to his class, I see that I'm one of the first people there. I walk up to his desk and repeat to him what Madaline told me. He asks why, and I just say that another teacher needed to speak with her. He writes it down in a book and puts her as present. Once I see what he's done, I walk to my table and plop down in the uncomfortable seat. No one sits beside me, and it made me wonder. Apparently my partner never comes to school.

"Okay, I'm going to start class. Everyone take out the notes from our last class, you're going to need them."

I dig through my bag, trying to find the notes we did. Not seeing them anywhere, I start to panic. I know I did them and I remember..giving them to Madaline, so she could copy them. She probably doesn't even have the papers anymore. What now? Mr. Harvey continues to tell us that we'll need our notes for a project that we're doing. We'll start it in class, but the rest has to be done at home. Whoever we sit next to is supposed to be our partner. Except, no one sits next to me. This is just great. Raising my hand, slowly, Mr. Harvey makes his way to my table.

"Yes?"

"Uh, I don't have a partner. No one has sat next to me this whole year."

Mr. Harvey notices the empty seat and goes to look at his seating chart. He has to put on his glasses as he reads over the paper a couple of times. Chewing on my lip, waiting for him to say something, the classroom door gets swung open. A guy with scary looking eyes comes in and behind him is a girl. It's Scarlette. She's in this class? More importantly in this school? Weird that I've never saw her before. The guy in front of her places a late pass on Mr. Harvey's desk and goes to the back. That gets his attention alright.

"Nice of you two to finally join my class. We're starting a project, your partner is whoever you sit next to and I hope at least one of you has the notes from our previous class," he explains to them. The guy just nods as he flops down onto the chair. He looks at his partner and grins, obviously liking who his partner is.

Looking back, I see that it's Orion. The guy loves science and never misses a class. It was no surprise when we found out that he had the highest grade in this class. My grade is decent in this class. I'm currently at an 89 B. Turning back to the front, I see Scarlette walking my way, but ignore it. She probably has a super smart partner and here I am, waiting for mine to show or something. I place my head in my hand and think about what's taking Madaline so long. Next thing I know, Scarlette is placing her bag on the table and sitting in the chair next to me. She does all this without saying a word.

What?

"Oh, that's right. Nolan, your partner is Scarlette," Mr. Harvey finally decides to inform me. I could've figured that out on my own, since she's now sitting next to me. Hearing my name, Scarlette turns her head to look at me. I do a slight wave and cast my eyes down to the black, scratched up table. From the corner, I can see that she's still looking at me. It's making me nervous and shy at the same time. She should really stop.