Chapter 12

"Look who's alive," my best friend, who loves to embarrass me, announces when I walk into the school building. "Got over your sickness?"

We walk side by side through the halls to my locker. Madaline is talking to me, but her voice drones in and out as my mind is only thinking one thing. Where's Scarlette.

"...So basically, Scarlette dropped out," Madaline's voice drones back in.

My head snaps in her direction. "What? Why would she do that?"

Madaline stops. Stares at me. "Nolan, you didn't hear a word I said!"

I laugh, sheepishly, and let her tell me about how awful school was without my being there. Apparently, the schools 'it' couple broke up causing crazy chaos throughout the entire building. Our math teacher quit because a student solved an equation he thought impossible. We now have a push-over teacher, who calls the principal every class period.

Jackson skips after second period, so Madaline was only left with Scarlette- who didn't drop out. She really did force her to stay, but never forced her to attend school in the first place. I take in all the information she gives me as we reach my locker. I put in my combination and switch my science notebooks out for my history ones. Scarlette and I don't share any classes today, so I'm secretly hoping that I see her during lunch.

The first bell rings, signifying that we only have five minutes left to get to our homeroom. It's also our first period, so we're in there for a full ninety minutes. Madaline and I also don't share many classes today, including first period. We fist bump and salute before heading off in different directions. My first class is English. English that's on the second floor. I hurry to rush up the crowded flight of stairs and stop once I get to the top. I bend over and place my hands on my knees. Wow, that's my exercise for this month.

"Um, excuse me..."

I stand up straight before turning around with my mouth in a straight line. If I open my mouth, I'll openly show that my lungs are collapsing on the inside. The girl standing in front of me stands silently, probably waiting for me to reply back. I slowly let out a breath to minimize my mini heart attack that I'm sure I'll have.

"Hi. Is there something you needed?"

She holds up a paper. "I just transferred here, so um, I was wondering if you could help me?"

I take the paper from her hands and read over her schedule. "Oh, we're in the same homeroom. Yeah, come on."

I hand the girl back her paper before turning around to lead myself, and her to our first class. We walk in silence the entire time and make it to class as the second bell rings. Classes have started. Ms. Rin ushers us to sit down as she begins to call roll. I sit in my usual seat near a window, so I can enjoy the view that nature has to offer. The girl timidly sits next to me, worried that I'll berate her for being close to me.

"You can sit," I console her. "That seat is usually empty."

"Oh, thanks," she fully sits down and places her bag next to her feet. "I'm surprised you don't remember me."

I study her face, not recognizing who she is. "Remember you?"

"Julie. We met once at that church. My mom tried to introduce us...well I guess it wasn't really a meeting- which I hope you feel better now. I mean you're in school so..."

Julie. She looks much different in casual clothing and with her hair down. I kind of feel bad now that we're actually talking. I acted like she had the plague the last time.

"Oh, Julie. Yeah, I feel better. Thank you."

"Good," she says with a smile.

I don't say anything back since Ms. Rin started the slideshow about the different ways to write an essay. I immediately lean down to take a notebook and mechanical pencil out of my book-bag. Pop quizzes are always given after every lesson, and she said any notes we take are fair game. Not many people take notes, but they cry over their quiz grades. Some have even tried to get answers from me because Ms. Rin has no problem with praising me about my good quiz scores. He actually listens to my helpful advice, she says.