Chapter 4

It's Thursday, and I have Mr. Harvey's class again. The thought dreaded me because I knew who else would be there. Scarlette. The straps to my book bag fall off my shoulders as I trudge slowly to science class. That, of course, caused my bag to fall to the floor with a loud thud. My eyes close for a good five seconds, and I open them again before picking up my fallen book bag. Madaline looks at me weirdly, and with a hint of concern. She asked me if I was okay earlier because apparently I look like a chipmunk ate my favorite snacks. Only Madaline would say something like that.

"Nolan, are you sure you're okay? Do you need to visit the nurse?" She asks for the second time that day. I nod my head in reassurance, and we walk into science class quietly.

I stop in my tracks when I see that Scarlette is already there, and seated. This must be a world record. Scarlette glances up at me, making me scramble to my seat and sit down. I glance at her before turning forward as Mr. Harvey clears his throat, obviously trying to get the class's attention. He explains to us that today will be an us day, and he won't be teaching anything. We can catch up on any late work, work on our project, or just relax if we want.

"What do you want to do?" Scarlett immediately asks me when Mr. Harvey is done talking. I take out a book I'd gotten from the library not too long ago, and open it to the page I left off on. My plan was to ignore Scarlett for right now because I don't want to be a bother to her. She shouldn't force herself to talk to me, or even hang around me. At least that's what I think.

"I think I'm just going to read my book," I finally answer her. Only because she was still looking at me, and it was making me nervous.

Scarlette leans forward to see the title of the book, a look of curiosity on her face. I pretend not to notice while reading the same line over and over. I can't focus when she's so close to me, or even paying attention to me. Scarlette nods to herself before sitting back straight. Now it was my turn to look at her curiously.

"I read that before. The sequel too, it's pretty good."

"You did? Wait, you read?" I look at her, incredulously. Scarlette scoffs as she looks at the book title again. I mentally smile, almost knowingly. She has never read this book. But kudos to her for knowing there's a sequel. Or maybe she just guessed.

"Yes, Nolan. I read."

"Mm, so you know the main characters?"

"Of course I do."

"Who are they?"

I move the book away from her line of view, so she wouldn't get any hints. She notices the small action, but pretends she's unaffected by it. We sit in silence for a couple minutes before she takes in a small breath and says,

"Crystal and Jackson."

We stare at each other in further silence, my eyes on her, and my mouth in a straight line. Scarlette looks back at me, face expression serious. I can't hold it in longer as I burst out laughing. People look our way, but I don't really notice, my head in my arms. Scarlett watches my body shake in laughter before she starts to laugh too. We stop laughing, but one look at each other and we're full out giggling again. Yes, we're giggling.

"You've never read this book before, or the sequel you liar."

Scarlette wipes the corner of her eyes, then looks at me amusingly.

"You think? I only said it so you'd talk to me."

I stop in my tracks when she says that. What?

"W-what, why would you do that?"

Scarlette's amusement is now replaced with confusion. I should be the confused one if anything. I just stare at her, waiting for her to continue, but it looks like that's all she had to say.