Chapter 6

I knew when Scarlette said the word, fun, I should've locked myself into my room and waited for her to leave. My perception of fun is watching a nice movie, and maybe ice cream. Not Nascar driving. I pale instantly when Scarlette leaves me in a crowd of people to pick out a car.

The cars are lined outside of an old garage. It's been abandoned for years, and the owner left behind at least a dozen nice cars. At least that's how Scarlette put it. A random guy throws his arm over my shoulder, and pulls me in.

"You here with Scar, huh?"

"Heh, yeah."

"Aw, man," he slurs, his body swaying which makes me stumble a little, "She's a beast on the street."

Scarlette walks back over to me, a set of keys in her hand, and a gigantic smile planted on her face. Her smile must be contagious because my own lips form into a smile. She pulls me away from the random guy, and wraps her own arm around my shoulders. I keep my arms stationed at my side to be safe. I don't know how she would feel about me touching her.

"You brought me along, so I could cheer for you, right? Shouldn't I stand back there?" I ask, curiously.

I trip over my feet a couple of times because Scarlette's arm is still wrapped around me, and she's walking at a swift pace. She doesn't answer my question, but I doubt she'd hear anything I said. More people showed up to this place, and it was getting a little rowdy. This isn't my scene at all.

Scarlette was looking ahead, so to get her attention, I tug on her shirt. Scarlette glances down at me, her eyes almost look as if they're shining. These things must really excite her.

"Are you going to leave me in that big crowd while you...race?" my hands interlock, nervously, and my eyes unknowingly dart around, assessing the crowd for a second to third time.

Scarlette smirks down at me before suddenly stopping in front of a sleek, blue car. I don't know much about cars, but this one looks really nice. Scarlette's actual car is black, so this must be the car she chose for the race. I stand there, quiet as always, while Scarlette grabs a jacket from the top of the car. It's black with a single, white stripe on both of the sleeves. She hands it to me without hesitation.

"Put it on, so people know you're with me."

I hold up the jacket, and look at Scarlette with confusion. Why do people need to know that I'm with her? Plus, aren't I going to be cheering anyway?

"Whose jacket is this?"

"Mine. I wear it everytime I race, think of it as my good luck charm."

Scarlette sits in the car with the door open, and I'm still standing by her side. She checks the steering wheel, pedals, emergency brakes, and everything else. Her face is dead serious, and it's an expression I'm not used to seeing on her. I look at the other participants, my mind suddenly wondering.

"Where's your friend? I thought he was going to be here?"

Scarlette glances up at me, and goes back to what she was doing.

"Nah, he got caught up with something. He was just letting me know that this was going on."

"Oh. So you really like these sorts of things, huh?"