Chapter 28

I've never really thought about how Scarlette and Jackson became and remained good friends for so long. At first thought, I'd think they've been friends since little kids and couldn't be without the other growing up. That'd still be my first thought, but now it's more to it. They fit each other so well. In recklessness and danger. Their carefree natures match each other's perfectly. Too perfectly if I say so myself.

"Hey, I actually should be going home. My mom wanted me to join her and dad at a get together," I tell Jackson, lying through my chattering teeth.

He seems to ignore my words at first, his eyes bouncing between the three skateboards that sit neatly in the trunk of his car. "Do you have to go?"

"Um," I think for a moment, "no?"

"Cool. Pick a board, Nabster, we don't have all day."

I try to blubber out a coherent sentence as Jackson grabs a skateboard and walks away towards the skate park. Leaving flashes through my mind, but I have no way home. Calling my parents is out of question; it's still a little awkward being overly family like with them. They have some slip ups, but I can tell they're really trying.

Sighing, I take a random skateboard before closing the trunk of the car and following after Jackson. He glances back for quick second, to see if I'm following, then continues on toward a ramp at the unfamiliar park. He stops at a ramp that's good for two people, and hops up with ease. I slow my steps until I'm standing directly in front of the ramp. Jackson leans back over the ramp, his hand held out, ready to pull me up. He's clearly not letting up, and I did want to hang out. Even if it involves a death machine with four small wheels.

I place my foot onto one of the lower rails and grab his hand. I'm yanked up from my spot, with ease, in seconds. Jackson grabs onto the board I chose with his free hand.

"Thanks," I mutter, as I get my body to the other side.

"No problem," Jackson hands me the skateboard back before picking up his own.

He walks to one side of the ramp, his board settled under his foot to keep it from moving. I continue to stand in my spot, awkwardly, not wanting to join his side. I give a nervous smile to my friend who looks back to me, again, then out at the ramp. I watch as he places his other foot on the top of the board, leaning down until he falls to the crevice of said ramp and swaying to the other side.

He wants me to do that? There's no way in any lifetime that I'll risk the safety of my bones and life.

"Your turn," Jackson says, simply, waiting for me to die.

"Um," I take another good look at the ramp before Jackson, "no."

Jackson takes that as his cue to go again as he shrugs before doing some neat trick on his skateboard. He continues this for a bit, so I end up sitting on my board. While watching Jackson, I notice a small smile appearing on his face every time he lands a trick. Skateboarding to him is like street racing to Scarlette, and astrology to me. He truly enjoys it.

I ponder on getting up to join him, and at least move around. Madaline would probably slice me if I did more than that. She's never gotten me to ride a skateboard- much less sit on one. Mhm. I'd definitely get cut into pieces. She'll probably even use me as dog food. I think Scarlette has a dog.

"Is this a one man show, or what, Nabster?" Jackson asks, stopping his movements.

My head perks up from the sudden confrontation, not expecting him to mind too much. I wouldn't have minded his continued "one man show."

"Are you intent on ordering my death certificate?" I question him, with a mock detective voice. "Scarlette told me to be careful. We thought your beef sticks would end me- but no! It's this."