Chapter 9

"Nolan, we're leaving! Come say goodbye!" my mom yells, from the bottom of the stairs. I throw my phone to the side before going downstairs in casual attire that consisted of a turquoise-colored shirt, black sweats, and blue- killua socks. My hair is in a messy state, but that doesn't really matter; I'm not going anywhere special today or the next few.

Mom is dressed in a nice, flowy, white dress with her hair in a neat bun. Dad is dressed as he usually is- like he's going to ten business meetings.

"Have fun, and tell the pastor I say hi," I say, getting a major case of deja-vu. Mom nods as she kisses my forehead- dad of course standing still like a statue. After a while, he nods at me too before leading my mom out of the house.

They lock the doors behind them, relieving me from the role of doing it. I wait until I hear the car drive out of the driveway, and on to the road before sprinting back up to my room.

I call Madaline instantly, letting her know that my parents are gone, and she can come over now. It's around 8pm, and her parents give her a curfew, that means she has to be home by midnight. Apparently, they came up with the idea after Madaline convinced them to watch Cinderella for the tenth time. Serves her right. She always joked about how I never had any fun because my parents never let me out when the sun starts to set. They've been a little more lenient, but barely.

She tells me she's already close by, and was just waiting for my call. She'll be here in about five minutes, so I hurry to put on my black converse and small jacket. The weather drops drastically towards the night. I grab my phone along with my keys.

Rushing downstairs, I triple check that everything is cleaned, and neat; my parents told me to do chores earlier and I can't remember if I did everything. After seeing that everything is good, I leave my house and lock the door behind me. I turn around to see a car pulling into my driveway. Not having any time to process it, Madaline jumps out of the car before running to me and jumping into my arms.

"Are you okay?" she whispers to me, her arms encircling my neck. She's seriously strangling me, but I say nothing and let her comfort me.

"I'm fine. Can you stop choking me, now?" I say, lightheartedly. Madaline laughs, but lets go of me. She turns, so she faces the car she jumped out of.

"Hope you don't mind that I brought company?" she questions. I squint my eyes to see who's in the car, but soon stop when they get out.

It's Scarlette and Jackson, Jackson being the designated driver. His hands are stuffed in his pocket, and he has the bored expression resting on his face. Scarlette looked as she always did- amused. Madaline and I walk over to them, and Scarlette is the first to speak.

"Hey, clumsy. Been a while hasn't it?"

I don't get a word out as Jackson answers for me.

"It's been like five days, calm down."

"What are you two doing here?" I ask, ignoring their statements for the time being. Madaline is busy putting on her favorite, pink jacket to answer anything. Jackson nods at her, then sends a glare to Scarlette.

"Maddy here asked if I wanted to hang out. I had nothing else to do, so yeah. She said invite Scarlette, so here she is. I became driver of the night because lighting mcqueen wrecked her car."