Chapter 29

"Mom, I don't think we need any more snacks or food..."

Ever since the group planned and confirmed the "sleepover," I told my parents about it and mom's been planning ever since. She took three big shopping trips, and was aiming for a fourth until dad stopped her. It was a true struggle- especially since she knows Scarlette is my girlfriend and included in the group. Dad's more chill about it, but I know he's itching to meet her.

My nerves are through the roof as I gather up some snacks to bring to my room. Madaline is like a daughter to them and a sister to me, plus they've seen Julie plenty of times. My dad saw Jackson and Scarlette once- both of those instances didn't end well. I hope everything goes as smooth as butter.

It's currently eight-thirty at night which means everyone should be here soon. They all agreed to nine. I'm pretty sure all we did plan is the time. I guess we'll free ball everything else.

"Nolan, honey, come help me with the refreshments!"

"Oh, god," I groan, hoping dad didn't let her loose again.

I hurry and drop the snacks off in my room before returning to the kitchen, where mom stands with a book of recipes in her hands. She quickly glances up at me, but that's all it is. A mere glance. Her attention is swamped up on a recipe for pasta rolls, and she already has an apron on. I send a horrified look to dad who just shrugs in my direction- basically saying I'm on my own.

Mom practically ignores my pleading gestures, her eyes zooming word to word. I was thinking pizza, or chinese, but I knew that was all wishful thinking. Maybe I should've mentioned Scarlette being my girlfriend after this whole thing. Then again, this sleepover wouldn't have been planned if I didn't mention it. Well.

"Can we just order pizza, mom?"

She looks up at me as if I've created the biggest sin, her own look of horror crossing her face. "Of course not, Nolan!"

I'm about to counter her statement, but the rings of our doorbell stops me. I put my hand up to stop my parents from moving, and quickly answer the door. On the other side are all of my friends and Scarlette, grins lining their faces.

"How are you all here at the same time? And early," I question, moving to the side.

Everyone moves in comfortably besides Jackson who looks around. Madaline drops her bag by the stairs while Julie slowly takes her shoes off by the door. Scarlette pushes by Jackson, coming straight to me. I prepare myself for the hug that's coming, my arms moving out on their own. Scarlette's body wraps into mine, her arms wounding around my neck while mine circle her waist. Not to say I was cold, but the warmth of her body envelops me quickly.

"Not to ruin the love fest that's going on, but am I the only one bamboozled by his house?" Jackson interrupts.

I peek around Scarlette's body, not wanting to let go of her just yet. Especially since my parents might try and take her away for the night. My eyes trail around the house as if I haven't lived here for years. People have complimented my parents and I on the interior of our house and, at this point, it looks like the same old to me.

"This is my second home," Madaline chides before she flicks me in the arm. She leaves us after that, most-likely going to say hi to my parents.

"I've been here before," Scarlette says after, kissing the top of my head before letting me go. She stays close to me which keeps me more than satisfied. I try not to think too much about my next actions, and link my hand with hers. She gives my hand a small squeeze in return- the action making me feel good inside.

"I've also been here before," Julie states. She waves at me when my eyes turn to her, and I return it happily. She then follows in Madaline's footsteps, my parents and her voice flowing through into the living room.