Chapter 24

"You haven't been home much, Nolan. What's going on?" my mom asks in the middle of lunch.

I take a bite of the sandwich that was already to my mouth, savoring the taste of the salami and cheese. The turkey added in tasted really good too, and I would've enjoyed it so much more if my parents weren't staring down my neck. After taking a sip of water and swallowing everything down, I look up to meet their eyes.

"I've just been busy with school, and I hang out with my friends sometimes," I answer truthfully.

"Almost everyday, hun?" my mom questions, her eyes gazing at me from over her cup of coffee.

"Yeah," I say, carefully, "isn't that good?"

My mom nods slowly, obviously thinking. She's not used to me being out so much, at different places. It was always Madaline and I. At her house or at mine. Sometimes we'd go out, the skatepark being one of the places. Now that three other friends have been added, I've been out almost daily and everywhere. I'm barely home now and only make it back for dinner. Unless I'm staying at Maddie's of course.

Dad stands near the stove, waiting for his own coffee to finish brewing. He hasn't said anything yet and that keeps me relaxed, but also curious about what's on his mind. He didn't say much last night- just asked a couple of questions. It was mostly mom and I talking while making dinner and setting up the table. It continued like that during table talk. Mom and I talking while dad focused on his food. He entered the conversations once or twice when asked about his work, but that was really it.

I go back to eating my sandwich because it wouldn't be long before Scarlette got here to pick me up. My parents already know, and it may have been what sparked this conversation. Dad didn't say anything about who I was hanging out with either. He just nodded while mom told me it was okay.

"I just miss baking cookies, and you coming home to steal one or two. Or three," mom laughs while waving off the topic.

My phone buzzes and I turn it on to see it's a text from Scarlette, telling me that she's outside. I grin and hop off my chair with the rest of my sandwich in hand. I kiss my mom on the cheek with the promise to be back by dinner. I hesitate as my eyes accidentally land on my dad, but wave goodbye to him. He nods in acknowledgement and tells me to have fun. I turn around to leave while thinking about how my dad might've gone insane.

He told me to have fun. When has he ever done that? Oh right, never! I leave my house with my sandwich hanging from my mouth and my hands struggling with the zipper of my jacket. A loud horn beeps and I would've died on the spot if my body allowed it. Somehow, my turkey and salami sandwich stayed put instead of falling splat onto the ground.

I look up to see Scarlette leaning over her steering wheel, her shoulders shaking from laughter. She wipes a lone tear from under her eye and looks back to me, her body going into another fit of intense laughter. I put on my best upset facade and stomp up to the car. The front passenger seat is empty, so I slide in and close the door hard for extra impact.

"Hi, Nol!" Madaline yells from her spot behind me. Her knees dig into the back of my seat as she leans forward to wave at me.

"Dude, is that a salami sandwich? You gotta let me get a bite," Jackson leans over, his hand readily out. I laugh and break off the part that my mouth touched before giving him the rest.

"I forgot how easy you are to scare," Scarlette laughs out, her head leaning back on the headrest with one of her hands resting on her stomach, the other resting on the steering wheel.

"Shut up," I mumble in embarrassment while pulling at the seatbelt. "You guys are my worst nightmare."

My tormentor friends laugh in unison before going on a tangent about things they think I'll get scared of. I hear one less voice which makes me unhesitatingly look back. Julie sits in the middle of Madaline and Jackson because she's the smallest of the three. A nice smile sits comfortably on her face as she looks back and forth, engaged in the conversations that's going on. Our eyes meet and I give her a genuine smile that she returns with a small wave to match.