Chapter 16

It's monday again and I'm back in Satan's sanctuary. The day has been slow. Not just for me- the halls have been slow and the teachers voices drone on and on at a snail's pace. The principal said good morning on the speakers and hasn't said anything since. English seemed to last forever, my hands aching from the long essays I had to write. They were only practice for the real thing that's to come. Julie kept me company. Well, if you count her laughing as I pretended to bang my head against the desk.

It's time for second period and it already feels like I've been here for hours. I understand why Scarlette and Jackson skip after second period. Julie is still by my side since I'm showing her to her class. The halls and stuff are still confusing to her along with the room numbers. The first week and a half was like that for me too. I went to the wrong class twice and even missed an entire period because I was busy running through the halls. After that, I got around pretty easily.

I get Julie to class and she waves me goodbye like it's part of a routine. Knowing we'll see each other at lunch, I turn around and quickly head to science class. Mr. Harvey is understanding but if you're late, then he'll do his job and mark you as late. It's already happened once and I'd rather not have it happen again. Luckily, the classroom is not too far away; I make it in time with two minutes left to spare. Mr. Harvey nods at me, showing little glee that I made it on time.

Madaline is already in her seat with her head down against her books. She stayed up all night watching Charmed, so it's no surprise that she's feeling tired. I put my book bag down against the floor and see Scarlette's small bag resting on the table. Her voice echoes through the classroom, making me look back to see her talking with Jackson. She's smiling while Jackson is trying not to. Orion is even laughing and Scarlette throws a smile his way. My body falters on its own- seeing her smile at someone else like that...the way she smiled at me. Does she like him? I don't know how I'd feel if she did. Even though I'm the one who said my feelings for her were confusing.

The bell rings loudly, scaring me a little as I jump in my spot. Mr. Harvey ushers us to our assigned seats while scraping chalk against the board. I sit down as Scarlette moves her bag onto the floor. She sits next to me and pays no attention to what Mr. Harvey is saying. Quickly glancing at her, I see that she's on her phone in clear view. I frown a little before paying attention to the short lesson.

Time quickly passes and Scarlette is still on her phone and Mr. Harvey is done teaching. Everyone is doing their own thing- either doing the assignment, talking, or sleeping. Me, I'm trying to focus on the assignment while stealing looks at Scarlette who doesn't seem to notice. I sigh, knowing I'm not going to be able to get any work done until I talk to her. My pencil rolls to the end of the table as I drop it, but I pay no attention. Scarlette uses that time to look up.

"Are you mad at me?" my voice wavers with hesitation.

"No," she answers so simply.

"Oh," I reply, trying hard not to show how relieved I am. I should ask her to hang out. Just me and her. I miss her. The her I met from day one, to the grocery store, to her coming in late... I don't want the one that can barely smile at me. "Do you want to hang out? With me?"

Scarlette looks back at me before shrugging. "Sure."

"Okay," I smile, and it's quiet between us again for the rest of the class.

I start to pack up my items and work as Madaline comes up to me with her worksheet in hand.

"Want me to turn yours in too?" she asks, her hand reaching out.

I glance at my book bag that hid my unfinished work. Laughing nervously, I shake my head. "I didn't finish."

Madaline gives me her worksheet to copy- saying we can turn it in together next class. I thank her as the bell rings. Jackson and Scarlette are out before any of us. Jackson throws a short wave our way before trailing off. Scarlette does nothing. Madaline and I look at each other before shrugging. They must really like what we're having today for lunch. Madaline loops her arm with mine as usual and we leave to the cafeteria.