Chapter 5

"Nolan! We're leaving!" my parents yell, loud enough for me to hear. I race down in my white shirt, and patrick boxers as they're almost out the door.

"Tell the pastor I said hello!"

My parents nod, and shut the door. I lock it behind them because if I didn't, then anyone could come in here and rob my parents blind of all their precious items. Well if they're firm believers like my parents, then maybe they'll see the value of the things my parents have. I laugh to myself as I imagine a bunch of robbers coming into my home to steal a bunch of crosses and baby Jesus figures. What if they're trying to exorcize demons?

Hearing my phone ring from my room, I jog up my very long case of stairs and jump on my bed. Madaline's name flashes across my screen, so I hurriedly swipe to the right. Her face appears on my screen, a silly expression on her face. Of course, I return the silly expression, making us both laugh loudly.

"What are you wearing right now?"

"Why do you want to know? Planning on copying my style?"

Madaline snorts at my comment. Maybe I should change her name to Ms. Piggy. Madaline squints her eyes at me as if she knows what I was thinking. Is the woman physic?!

"Oh poor, Nolan. If I hadn't called you, you'd still be in your patrick boxers, wouldn't you?"

A horrified look takes over my features. I look down at my patrick boxers, then back at Madaline who has a knowing look on her face. She shakes her head in disapproval, making me outwardly frown.

"Okay, what if I am?"

Madaline looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Nolan! Did you forget that Scarlette is coming over today?"

The confusion is gone from my face in seconds. What is she talking about? Scarlette coming over? Here, to my house? Impossible. Impossible.

"What are you talking about, Maddy? Scarlette isn't coming over," I tell her.

Madaline's eyes widen like saucers. Her mouth opens, and closes over and over, like she can't believe the words that came out of my mouth. The feeling is mutual because what she said was crazy talk.

"Nolan, I'm only going to tell you this once, so you can have time to freak out and get ready. Alright?"

I nod my head, slowly. She seemed a little serious now, so it's best I did listen to her if I still wanted to live. Madaline takes a small breath before she starts to speak.

"We were having lunch with Scarlette and her friend... you mentioned that your parents were going to be out for the weekend because of a church event. Remember that?"

I nod, slowly, again.

"Okay. Scarlette joked that you should let her come over for some fun, and after you blushed like a freaking maniac, you agreed. Even said that you'll bite her in Uno...whatever that means," she mutters the last part to herself, but I still heard.

I let Madaline's words sink in a little, and when they do, I freak the freak out. That's right! I even urged the idea of her coming over, and she teased me saying that I was adorable for that Uno comment. I should still have time left, right? I told her to come around twelve thirty. Afraid to check the time myself, I glance at Madaline from my phone, and seems to know what I'm already thinking.

"It's twelve on the dot, beast."

I blow out a breath, and mentally kill myself ten times over.

"Thanks, beauty. I'll call you later."