Chapter 18

"I feel bad," Madaline admits with her eyebrows scrunched up, "I mean, imagine your mom forcing you to school after being attacked by a volleyball. And it left a mark!"

We're having our weekly, Friday gossip talk. At least that's what Madaline calls it. It's specifically used to talk about everything that happened over the week and she loves it. I, personally, think she only likes it because it shows that she knows almost everything that goes on in school.

Jackson points his beef stick towards Madaline, his own brows scrunched up on his forehead. "How big we talking?"

Madaline happily answers his question, wanting to give as much details as possible. They engross themselves into a private, mini conversation with Jackson talking just as much as Madaline. I think he's warmed up to us... or Maddy at least. After being sorta friends for a while, I'd hope so. Turning back to my untouched chips, I hungrily eat the salty treat. My habit of messy eating isn't a secret to my friends anymore, so I'll eat how I please.

"I heard Mr. Fredricks gave out free A's to any girl that spent after school with him," Julie shyly admits.

Scarlette hears this and looks up from her phone. Madaline and Jackson are too busy talking about something new to hear her. I was in my head, and heard only the last part. When no one says anything, Julie shrinks back into her sweater.

"I heard that too. Maybe I can hang with Freddy betty and get a free A," Scarlette jokes. Julie looks up at this to see Scarlette giving her a friendly smile. Julie smiles back, her eyes almost squinting from how wide her smile is. Scarlette's never directly talked to her- much less give her a smile. It was always head nods.

The two also break off into their own conversation, talking about creepy teachers and some of their comfort teachers. I continue to eat my chips while being back in my own head. After the ordeal with Scarlette on Wednesday, Julie and I headed home. I got a ride from her mom who wanted to play five-hundred questions. It lasted all the way to my house, then I played one million questions with my parents. I was pretty tired so after amusing them for a little, I took a shower and fell asleep.

Yesterday was the same. My dad questioned the bajeebus out of me that morning, wondering about my day plans. It was a short discussion that made my mood slightly dampen. I went to school and Scarlette wasn't there. It was just me, Madaline, Julie, and Jackson. It was a shock to see Jackson sitting at the lunch table. Him and Scarlette are glued to the freaking hip, so seeing one without the other is well...surprising. He even talked to me. Barely, but he spoke to me. He spoke to Julie too, asking if she liked grapes. It was weird, but Julie didn't seem to mind. Madaline and him had their short conversation before he focused on his food.

The rest of the day was boring. Madaline had family plans and so did Julie. Jackson was skateboarding and I refused to do that. So, I went home to my parents. My mom had a day off from yoga instructing and fitness work. She enjoyed her day off by baking and watching cooking shows. I might've eaten all the cookies. My dad came from his job, and I went to my room. The cookies came too, of course.

"Hey, me and Jackson are going skating after school. You guys wanna come?" Madaline pipes up. I blink a few times to clear my head.

"What?" I ask.

"Skating. Me and Jackson. You in?"

Her and Jackson. The Jackson she likes. A big, fat crush that may be mutual. Of course I don't want to join.

"No thanks. You know skating isn't my thing," I end with a smile that only Madaline gets. She rolls her eyes, but a hint of a smile doesn't go unnoticed by me.

We've been friends since we were born. Our parents were college friends, and ironically moved into the same state to start a family. Once they found that out, they got back in contact and baby me along with baby Madaline was already born. I like to brag sometimes that I'm older by an entire month. February twelfth for me, and March thirteenth for Madaline. We know each other well, so our smiles were like some secret communication.