Chapter 21

"So, why did you take my front seat hostage?"

I look up from my crumbled piece of paper with a slight frown of confusion. I fold up the paper and stuff it into my front pocket before smiling widely at the girl next to me. "You promised to meet after school."

Scarlette leans forward on her steering wheel, her face studying mine with a content smile. My smile stayes glued on my face which leaves us smiling at each other like fools. Scarlette hums before being the first one to look away, her hands going to start the car. I put the seatbelt on happily and remind Scarlette to do the same.

"Your parents know you're with me?" she asks while busying herself with the seatbelt.

I did text my parents for their permission to go out after school, but my message was pretty vague. I didn't mention Scarlette by name, I used the term friend. It's safer to say friend then hint at the fact that the 'friend' is a girl. That's also why the date I've planned is happening at Scarlette's house. Risking her meeting my parents when we're beginning to move forward? That wouldn't be the best move.

"Yep," I confirm, "my mom's okay with it."

"Cool," Scarlette puts one arm behind my headrest, while scanning the parking lot for any moving cars. She reverses the car with skill and turns it so it's facing the exit. We leave the school parking lot and get on to the main road. "Where to me liege?"

"Supermarket," I say, remembering the list on my crumbled piece of paper. "The one where we bumped into each other."

"Got it."

"I hope you like what I have planned," I admit after a moment of silence passes. "I've never planned a date before."

Scarlette glances at me for a quick second before returning her attention to the road. "I think it'll be great. You know i'm not a fancy kinda girl."

I laugh in nervousness and some relief. What I have planned isn't bam! A fancy date and I'm going to propose to you at the end! Definitely not. It's something I think we'll both enjoy while being comfortable. Hopefully she won't mind the fact that I'll be evading her room for a little bit.

"Did you only need to go to the supermarket? Or are there more places?" Scarlette asks while stopping at a red light. She uses that time to fully look at me, awaiting my response.

"Um," I think for a moment, not really sure, "I think it's just the supermarket...yeah."

"I love how confident you are in your answer," Scarlette jokes, going when the light turns green.

We playfully argue back and forth after that comment, our laughs echoing off each others and our smiles matching. It's not long before we're pulling into the supermarket, and I'm sighing from contemporary relief. I stretch in my spot and go to take my seatbelt off when Scarlette does the same.

"You don't have to get out with me," I stop her, "I'll be quick. I think."

"I'm scared you'll lose yourself in there," she muses before fully taking off the seatbelt and stepping out of the car. I get out after her and meet her on the other side. We walk into the store together and my face lights up as I see a familiar face.

"Hey, Leeane!" I wave over to her.

She turns around when she hears her name and waves back with the same enthusiasm. "Hey! I haven't seen you come in for a little."

"That's why I'm here now- to trash your store and leave with a packet of gum," I joke, hoping I didn't sound too serious.

"You can't even steal a gumball, much less rob the store of their gum, sweetheart," Scarlette announces while walking past me and over to Leeane. The two laugh at her statement as I stand near the entrance with a mock look of sadness.