Chapter 14

Ties should be gathered and burned. That's my final statement as I loosen the tie around my neck. Madaline is sitting quietly on my bed, waiting for me to finish, so she can fix up my hair. She's the only one that knows about Julie and I going on a date. The group knows our parents were trying to set us up, but that's it.

I turn to Madaline who nods at my appearance before getting up with a long sigh. She does this every time she has to leave my bed. Its more comfortable than her own, is what she always tells me. We head to my bathroom with a brush and hair products. Madaline is about the same height as me so she doesn't need a stool or anything.

"You nervous?" she asks while tugging my hair in different directions.

"No," I reply truthfully. "I'm pretty sure Julie doesn't want to do this either, and plus..." plus I think I'd rather be doing this whole date with someone else.

Madaline drops it and we go downstairs after she's done practicing her skill in my hair. Her parents are the first to see me and drop compliment after compliment. I smile and thank them before turning to hug Madaline goodbye. She reminds me to call her or text after the little date. I tell her I will as I grab my phone and my wallet that my parents put more money in. They wanted me to buy Julie some things, even if she didn't ask.

"Nolan, are you ready?" my mom calls, waiting by the door with my dad. I stuff my wallet into an empty pocket before leaving out the door without saying anything. My parents follow after me and we pile into the car.

It all feels familiar seeing as we did this same routine a few days ago. Except it wasn't a meet up between Julie's and my parents. It was a date set up by them. I should be happy. Julie is nice, and we can just look at it as two friends hanging out. It'll make it much easier and me more comfortable.

My phone vibrates, once, letting me know I got a text. I barely glance at my parents while taking it out. Scarlette. My mood shifts from a little bad to a little good. I expect to open our messages to a joke or something, but what I got was completely different.

Scarlette: hows the date
Me: How'd you know?
Scarlette: Me n maddy are like best friends now
Me: Of course. I'll text you afterwards ok?
Scarlette: ok

I exit our texts with a sigh. My phone darkens as I turn it off and place it in the safe place of my lap. Scarlette still seems off to me. Her usual teasing remarks, the amusement laced in her voice, the nicknames. She hasn't done any of that since that day at lunch. Julie can't be the problem. She likes Julie. She said hi to her and everything. Well a head nod is basically the same thing. My mind fogs and I hum a tune instead to clear it. I'll talk to Scarlette about it whenever I can.

My head tilts to the side when the car slows to a stop. We're at the same calm diner as last time. I wonder who's choice this was. It surely wasn't mine, but still. I like the place. My parents don't say anything, their faint smiles the only thing I can see. They probably guessed that I don't want a pep talk, or any kind of talk. My legs carry me out of the car and to the diners doors. My parents are still sitting there. I walk inside the diner and look out the barely tinted glass windows. Still there. My eyes roll on their own accord before I look around in search for Julie.

I find her in two minutes time in a window seat. Her hair is pulled back into a neat ponytail that shows off diamond earrings. I can tell she's wearing a dress as I get closer to her. Also because she stands up to hug me. It was a side hug kind of thing that wasn't too awkward.

"Hi," she says first.

"Hi," I reply as we both sit down across from each other.

Julie doesn't say anything more- her eyes taking me in while I look around nervously. I thought this wouldn't be awkward for me. Maybe the 'just friends hanging out' thought will still help.