Chapter 15

"Thank you, it was nice seeing you," my dad repeats to the fifth person that stops him on our way out of the church.

I walk past him and over to Madaline who looks as ready to leave as me. She looks relieved when she sees me and detaches herself from her parents, and their church friends. We walk out of the church and sit on the last step, but leave enough space for people to pass by. Madaline leans her head on my shoulder as we look out at the clouded, blue sky.

"We're still hanging out right?" she asks, not clarifying her question. "Us and the group?"

I feel exhausted from another two services, but I miss hanging out with my friends as an entire group. It's currently 6pm, so maybe I can get a quick nap in before it's time to meet up.

"Of course," I end up answering her, "your parents take us at seven-thirty? I want to see if I can get a nap in."

Madaline nods and both of our parents appear at our sides as we finalize our plans.

"Nolan's coming back with us," Madaline informs them all. Her parents look to mine for clarification and they give the all clear. They always will when it comes to Madaline. It's no secret that my parents wanted us to become high school sweethearts. We proved that, that will never happen, so now they're jumping at Julie.

"Be home by ten. You have school tomorrow," my dad warns.

I would usually just stay over at Maddy's because I have clothes of my own at her house, but my dad is keeping an even closer eye on me. Madaline couldn't convince him otherwise this time. We soonly enough separate- my parents going to their car and me going with Madaline.

"Nolan, you haven't stayed over in a bit," Madaline's mom concludes, "how are you?"

I look away from the window to meet her eyes. "I haven't had the time, I guess. Maddy sees me all the time anyway too."

Mrs. Versace nods her head in understanding as Mr. Versace asked if we wanted something to eat. One things for sure- Madaline's family will never let you starve. If they aren't cooking, then they'll buy food. Anything to feed themselves and their company. Madaline and I decline the offer, since we're sure we'll eat while we're out. Jackson can't go without food and Scarlette can't go without stealing it.

"We should freshen up before leaving," Madaline fills the short silence that snaked its way into the car. "We can't skate in church clothes. Unless we're insane of course."

I laugh at the last part of her statement. The chances of Madaline having a serious sentence is close to zero. She always has to add her weird commentary which I appreciate at times. I forgot about getting ready for a second time today which meant putting a stop to the nap I was desperate to have. Getting ready will take long without a doubt. Madaline wants to look good all the time. It doesn't matter where she's going. I, on the other hand, have no choice but to look bland.  It's true- I do have clothes at Madaline's house, but they're nothing special. And it's just skating.

"You can use my shower and I'll use my parents" Madaline decides as we pull into her driveway. That worked for me. I wouldn't have to sit bored for half an hour while waiting for her to come out.

I nod and we get out of the car before racing into her house. Everything is a race here- it doesn't matter what you're doing or where you're going. Madaline pushes a broom into my path, making me trip a little. Luckily, I don't fall but now she's in the lead and up the stairs. We laugh all the way to her room and flop on her bed. Madaline sighs before rolling onto her stomach.

"Hey, Nolan?"

I stay laying on my back, my eyes admiring the stars on her ceiling. "Yes, Maddy?"

"I really like Jackson. He's so closed off, and I don't really know much about him, but I like him."