Chapter 11

"Scarlette, the Nile river is in Egypt!"

"What's it gotta do with what you're holding?!"

I smack my hands against my forehead, the two cards I'm holding poking me. We've been in the escape room building for a whopping hour, and we've been in room five for thirty minutes. Leaving through the door crossed my mind a couple of times, but as much as it's hard trying to find out these clues, it's really fun doing it with her. Even if she can't figure out any clue or puzzle that we touch.

"Try looking for something that deals with Egypt, I don't know. The Nile was our biggest clue," I explain while looking around the semi-big room.

That's another thing I noticed. These rooms get smaller and smaller every time we enter a new one. You'd think they get bigger to hide more clues, but nope! They like the idea of suffocating us better.

"Like a giant ass pyramid or something?" she questions with her hands placed on her hips. I laugh and shake my head at her cluelessness. It's adorable, really.

I don't answer that question and continue to search around for anything Egypt or Nile related. The room is as plain as you can get, but for some reason I feel like the answer is hidden in plain sight. Scarlette hums twice before calling my name. I'm too wrapped up in trying to look behind a painting as she calls me a second time.

"Sweetheart," she says with one of her hands touching my hip. Waist. Whatever you want to call it. Either way it makes me jump and drop the painting. I turn around with my hand grasping my chest, my heart pounding hard in my chest.

"Couldn't you make a noise or something?! Jesus," I exhale. Scarlette raises her eyebrows in confusion.

"Was me not calling your name noise? Or should I have started break dancing?" she teases, her hand still touching my now hot body.

"Whatever," I mumble, "why were you calling me?"

Scarlette steps back away from me, which means she's no longer touching me. I don't get to be too disappointed as I blush from the loud fact that I like and miss her touch. Us holding hands didn't even have this much of an effect on me. Then again... she wasn't touching my hand. Stop it, Nolan, you're practically steaming! Scarlette is enjoying the show of my internal battle, so I turn away from her while patting my cheeks. It does nothing to calm down my weirdly flustered state.

"Guess what I found?" she eventually asks, saving me from a mini heart attack that I was about to cause myself.

"What?"

"Well, you have to turn around to see it, Nolan," she says with a tone that makes me think on that decision. "I promise there's not a phone in my hand to take a picture of you."

"There's definitely a phone in your hand, isn't there?" I question, turning around to point at her.

Scarlette takes a picture before turning her phone to show me. She does so with a grin that contradicts my embarrassed frown. I groan from embarrassment and turn back around with my face covered. Scarlette laughs and walks in front of me with her phone now tucked into her pocket. She moves my hands from my face, holding my wrists in her hands.

"Seriously though. You're going to be thanking me when you see what I have," she says, holding eye contact. I look down, since I can't hold eye contact. Not with her.

"What?" I ask just like before.

"A pyramid with some hole in it. Not what I was thinking in size, but it's something, right?"

That gets me to look up. Scarlette smiles as she lets go of my wrists. She leads me towards the locked door that's supposed to lead us to the next room. I bump into her back because she abruptly stops. I rub my nose while Scarlette turns around with a miniature pyramid sitting on her hand. I grab it from her to figure out the purpose of it. Scarlette walks around the room looking for something- what that is, I'm not sure.