Purge To Come

"Did this empress wrong you?" The empress asked as he raised an eyebrow. He gave an order but they didn't say anything.

"How could that be? I thank your majesty for educating this lowly servant." Zhong Wei Ju responded politely as she kneeled. It seemed like at least one of them could survive the imperial palace.

"Since it's my beloved sister's wedding I don't want to make a mess, but take today's events as a lesson and know your place." The empress said he waved his hands casually, indicating them to get up.

"We thank your majesty for your benevolence." The two young girls kneeled as they thanked the empress. No matter if it was fake or not, they still had to do it. Seeing how things went down today, they knew they had to watch their mouths from now on.

This was the first time the empress showed his power in public since his rebirth. The people who heard rumors finally saw the brand new empress in action and some of those who were coveting the empress's seat was thinking of retreating. All of them had different reactions and thoughts but none of these escaped the empress's keen eyes. He sneered looking at the greedy nobles. He was out for seven years and they were running wild.

His mother was so angry at the emperor that she didn't work as the empire's Right Prime Minister for seven years to rebel against him. With that move, the empire's political and economic means took a huge hit. With his ruthless mother in court, none of those greedy noble would have the chance to act up, but without her being here they ran wild.

People thought his mother was stupid for not coming to her post because she was the backing of the empress but they were wrong. The empress had many other backings in her family, and she would only need one or two of her family members to keep him on the throne, but the empire needed the Right Prime Minister to be balanced. 

When his mother left, she knew that her son would suffer, but even if she stayed he would still suffer. Liu Quiaqio was quite stubborn when his mom advised him not to get married, so she knew she couldn't talk her hard-headed son into anything, so she could only attack the emperor in a way where he couldn't accuse them of being traitors. So she left her post, and her decision proved right since the treasury was now almost empty.

Liu Quiaqio knew his mom would reinstate herself back to her position, and when that day came there would be a lot of blood shed, his mother would purge the court clean, not for the emperor but for her son. Thinking about Yin Bao Ai's first purge twenty-six years ago the nobles shivered and were even more determined to stop their plans. The empress swept his eyes across this scene as a chilly smile made its way on his face. He would start the purge for his mother. He looked at Li Dani who immediately understood.

"Hear my decree! Liu Xie Xaioling is virtuous, educated, and polite. She has learned about the Wifely Duties and is preparing for her marriage. She has shown dedication and kindness to the people though they're not her responsibility. With her kind heart and dedicated character, she is well fitted for the title of Xianzhu. This empress bestows upon Liu Xie Xaioling, the title and rank of Xianzhu with Yun county for you to take care of. This empress shall bestow twelve thousand gold, twenty thousand silver, eight rubies, four sapphires, and two emeralds. Bestow my decree!" The empress ordered with a knowing smile on his face.

The people were surprised by the sudden decree but they still remembered to kneel. The groom, Gao Ren Fu was even more surprised and was preparing to kneel when he felt someone hold him back up. It was his wife. He saw his wife standing there with the same smile as the empress as she looked at him. The smile looked simple but he felt cornered, it was as if somebody was holding a knife to his throat. He finally took in a breath when his wife's hands slowly massaged his waist to calm him down.

Liu Quiaqio didn't want to make the first move at his sister's wedding. He wanted his sister's wedding to be perfect where all the attention would be on her, but she had a different plan. Liu Shi Ling knew how vicious her little brother could be, so she encouraged him to make his first move here at the wedding since this was his first public outing in seven years. Especially with the four babies on the way, she wanted her little brother to start establishing his power now.

She normally would talk about this with her husband because this was also his wedding too, but she really didn't want him to get involved with this purge. He was a scholar from a poor background but he worked himself to the bones to earn the Number One Scholar title and she really didn't want to crush all his hard work because of her selfishness, if she did she would feel guilty for the rest of her life. She looked over at her newly wedded husband with concern, she really didn't want to lose the person she loved so much.

Gao Ren Fu saw the overflowing concern in her eyes and knew that some things are better left unsaid. He would never doubt his wife's trust or love for him because of these events because he knew that her life as a noble was just as complicated as his life as a new upcoming scholar.

"I love you honey, and I'm sorry." Liu Shi Ling said as she lowered her head and planted a kiss on her husband's forehead.

"It's okay h-honey, and I love you too."  Gao Ren Fu responded in a small voice, with a red face, as he buried his face in Liu Shi Ling's clothes. No matter how much he tried to be a manly husband for his wife, he was still the shy and gentle scholar Gao, and Liu Shi Ling loved that about him. She chuckled quietly seeing her cute husband's embarrassing state and slowly patted his head to comfort him. What a cute husband she had.

Hello lovelies! Here's an update! A little romance this time.

Question of the day.

What is your dream career?