Another Punishment

"Your majesty this concubine doesn't understand. Did this concubine do something wrong?" Hereditary Consort Cuifen said in a slightly trembling voice as she bowed.

"Hereditary Consort Cuifen there's no need to play innocent here as we have already gathered all the evidence needed. The momo and guards are currently in prison right now and they had confessed so just stop this act." The empress said lazily as he leaned back on his chair. Hereditary Consort Cuifen could see that there was no way out of the situation and could only admit to her wrongdoings.

"This concubine indeed admits to scheming against a maid. This concubine sincerely apologizes to the maid who had lost her child." Hereditary Consort Cuifen admitted as she looked at the empress from the corner of her eyes.

"It seems that Hereditary Consort Cuifen has gotten bold these past few years huh?" The empress scoffed as he straightened up to look at the kneeling Hereditary Consort Cuifen. She called the victim a maid instead of her name in order to remind the empress that he was going against the Di daughter of the Marquis Lin's mansion for a maid. She was using her identity to threaten the empress into letting her off.

"No your majesty-" Hereditary Consort Cuifen tried to explain but was cut off.

"Since you think you're so powerful then it's my job to kindly remind you of your place," The empress stated coldly. "Hear my decree! Hereditary Consort Cuifen has committed the sin of jealousy and committed the crime of assault. She will be demoted from Hereditary Consort of proper rank to Hereditary Consort of the first rank. She shall be confined in the prayer hall for two months while copying scriptures to reflect on her wrongdoings. She should also pay three thousand gold worth of damages to the victim and will issue a public apology at a hosted banquet!" The empress continued. "Bestow my decree!" The empress finished and prepared to get up.

"To hear is to obey!" The concubines immediately said as they kneeled including Hereditary Consort Cuifen.

"I know most of you are probably thinking that I did too much for a maid but don't forget that Hereditary Consort Cuifen had sent her people to assault this lady in broad daylight with many eyes on her. The guards had the imperial uniform on and many people had seen them, they just didn't dare to say it. Even if they didn't dare to say it they still gossiped. Do you have any idea how big of a deal you made just because of a moment of impulsiveness? What makes me angrier is that the blame never lands on the concubine but on the mother of the nation, the empress, me! So remember every time I am forced to clean up after one of you you will feel my wrath." The empress spat angrily before walking out. 

The concubine couldn't help but to stay rooted in their spot for a moment, they even forgot to ridicule Hereditary Consort Cuifen for a moment. The empress had warned them before, and even if they were scared they always remembered that they had their maternal and paternal backing but now the empress showed them that even that didn't matter and that he would still take his anger out on them. Those who had ideas quickly put them away and decided to be careful until the empress safely gave birth.

"Meimei, it seems like you made a huge mistake this time," Hereditary Consort Xuilan said with a worried tone but the scorn on her face couldn't be hidden. It was expected because now that Hereditary Consort Cuifen was demoted she was now the highest-ranked woman in the harem after the empress. Hereditary Consort Cuifen was now a Hereditary Consort of first rank while she was a Hereditary Consort of medial rank which meant that now Hereditary Consort Cuifen whom she used to bow to and call her jiejie will now have to bow to her and call her jiejie.

"It seems like I worried jiejie. Please do not think too much of me and get sick, if you do your family might be angered, and my family will have to take the blame." Hereditary Consort Cuifen responded politely as he curtsied. The words may sound playful but it was a reminder to Hereditary Consort Xuilan that her family was stronger, and that if she bullied her a little too much then her family will take action against her. Hereditary Consort Cuifen may have made a mistake momentarily but she survived the harem for years now as the second most powerful woman in the harem which meant that she had great intelligence so she wouldn't be bullied without retaliating. 

"If meimei says so," Hereditary Consort Xuilan knew when to retreat.

News about the demotion of Hereditary Consort Cuifen immediately spread and everybody in the empire knew that the empress was offended. They also knew why. The main wives were very supportive of the empress and openly showed support. The news of Hereditary Consort Cuifen's doing had already spread quite a bit, and in this society where the main wives were responsible for everything in the household, including the concubines' wrongdoings who wouldn't be pissed about cleaning up after their mess?

Some people disagreed with the empress and said that he was a little too drastic but were quickly shut up by both his mother and father. The emperor also showed that he supported the empress. When complained to by Marqis Lin, he stated that the harem was the empress's responsibility and he could punish people as he sees fit. Seeing that even the emperor showed support the opposing officials could only shut up and Marquis Lin could only swallow his grievances.