Throwing Shade Like It's Sunny

The atmosphere in the hall was quite awkward. Typically the empress would've struck up a conversation my now but he didn't. He simply sat on his throne and sipped his tea in pleasure, as if the emperor didn't exist. 

"How is the empress's health?" The emperor asked with an expressionless face. The concubines were not used to seeing this so they were surprised. The emperor normally flirted with Noble Lady Shu every time he came for morning greetings, and always ignored the empress. Seeing the emperor like this caused Noble Lady Shu to bite her lip aggrievedly. She really needed to do something before it was too late.

"This empress is fine just somewhat tired." The empress responded flatly. This surprised the concubines even more.

"It is entirely normal for the empress to be tired. His majesty is carrying four royal children and has to take care of the spring festival, so it is given that his majesty's body would take a toll." Official Lady Lifen spoke skillfully as she stood up to bow respectfully.

"You are right meimei. Then how about Beauty Meixiu help this empress prepare for the spring banquet. I will be less tired and you will gain experience." The empress said with a smile on his face. Official Lady Lifen gave him this opportunity so how could he let her down? Those words caused Official Lady Lifen to grit her teeth. She was trying to offer herself but the empress chose someone else.

"This lowly concubine is not worthy." Beauty Meixiu hurried and refused with a bow.

"If you say that, then don't you mean this empress has an eye for bad people." The empress joked, but his words blocked all routes of escape for Beauty Meixiu.

"How could that be? This lowly one was just a  little overwhelmed by the grace of the empress, hence hesitated a bit." Beauty Meixiu hurried to answer. He denied the claim and pleased the empress at the same time. The empress's smile broadened but for some reason, they all felt a little chilly.

The empress squinted his eyes to look a beauty Meixiu. He knew that this ger should have some talent to be able to climb the ranks from a slave to a favored concubine. Beauty Meixiu knew the hearts of humans, he could tell them what they wanted to hear just by reading their faces, but he, Liu Quiaqio was not the same as those nobles. His heart was not as fickle to believe those words. He should keep a close eye on Beauty Meixiu.

The morning greetings were long over, but the concubines stayed so they could interact with the emperor. The empress joined in from time to time, but you could see his disinterest. He just sat and sipped his tea with a subtle smile on his face. While they were chatting the door suddenly burst open.

"Mommy! Ruan'er is back!" The princess announced happily as she ran towards her mother, seemingly not seeing the people around her.

"Oh, my baby is back! How was your day?" The empress asked as she caught the running princess and stroked her hair gently, his eyes overflowing with tenderness. The concubines and the emperor were both shocked by the empress's attitude. He just ignored the fact that there were still people there and continued on with his conversation with his daughter, and the princess didn't even seem to notice them.

"Yes the teacher was super nice, I learned how to hold my chopstick the correct way and how to....." The princess chatted on and on about what she learned in etiquette class, still not seeing the people in the room, while the empress listened to her with a smile on her face without interrupting.

"Mh-mh." The emperor cleared his throat to make his presence noticeable. Immediately after hearing the noise, the princess turned her head and finally saw the concubines and the emperor in the room. 

"This princess greets the emperor and concubine mothers." The princess greeted as she bowed respectfully. Because of his mother spoiling her often Princess Ruan Li slowly grew out of her shell and was no longer the timid princess with an inferiority complex. Though she was still a little shy she was not as awkward as before.

"You may rise." The emperor instructed, but he did feel a little awkward. None of his children except for the second prince called him father. Though the princess didn't look at him with hatred like her older brother. She still looked reluctant to call him father, or even greet him matter a fact.

"His majesty must really have a good relationship with the princess. She was so excited to tell the empress about her day she even forgot to greet the emperor and her concubine mothers." Official Lady Lifen joked with a chuckle. It seemed like a joke, but she just implying that the empress spoiled the princess so much that she didn't have respect for her elders, not even her father.

"You are right. My cute daughter always comes to tell me about her day every time after morning greeting but today the greeting took an extra hour longer for some reason." The empress responded with a laugh like he didn't just throw shade and embarrassed all the concubines, even the emperor felt a little shame.

Seeing the awkward atmosphere the concubines all stood up and said their goodbyes to the empress and left. Noble Lady Shu looked a little reluctant but the emperor barely talked to her today so she knew her staying wouldn't do her any good. All the concubines left and only the emperor stayed.

"I heard the Crown Prince ranked first in the Xiaohai exams?" The emperor asked awkwardly trying to strike up a conversation.

"Yes, isn't he a genius? He didn't even need the Grand Tutor to pass." The empress responded with a smile. Li Dani stifled a laugh. It looked like the empress was not sparing anybody from the shade he had to throw today. 

Seeing the bright smile on the empress's face, the emperor's face suddenly hurt. He felt like he had been slapped. He pressured the Grand Tutor to teach his second son, which took away most of the time the Crown Prince had to study with the grand tutor. The most shameful part is that even with the help of the Grand Tutor, the best teacher in the empire, his second son still failed, in contrast to the Crown Prince who ranked first and had little to no help.

Hello Lovelies! Here's an update!

Question of the day.

Johnny Depp or Amber Heard?