Culprit Found

The emperor had been taking contraceptives, which means if that maid was pregnant she would be at least three to four months pregnant because she would've been pregnant before the emperor took the contraceptives. For her to lose a three to four months embryo can be pretty traumatic, especially currently when there's barely any medical knowledge about pregnancies. So you could say that this miscarriage would really take a toll on this maid mentally and physically.

The empress had already assured the maid that he would serve her justice to the best of his abilities. And that she would also be rewarded and compensated for the damage that was caused to her. At first, she hesitated but remembering the recent rumors about how the empress is now back to his senses and is ruling the harem with an iron fist, she decided to get her justice.  

She understood that scheming was part of the harem, but she never really had any intentions to use her baby to climb into power, that's why she wished so hard for her baby to be a girl, but before she could even see the face of her baby, it was killed.

When the emperor picked her for his nightly visit, he gave her the choice to back off. She decided to say yes knowing that as a laundry maid, she would never have a chance to fight for survival again. She was always bullied for her appearance in the laundry room by other maids, and she took this chance to have a rise in status. Who would've thought she would be pregnant?

When she first found out, the first thing she thought about was escaping so she could protect the baby but she knew that this was an impossible feat. So she decided to hide it, but when she started getting a little suspicious, she decided to return back home with the excuse that her mom was gravely ill. While on her way to her mom's house, an Old Momo stopped her along with a few guards and forced her to drink a liquid. 

When they finished with her they kicked her and left her on the streets bleeding and half a breath away from death. That's when she realized just how significant she was. How could she have been so foolish to ever dream of something such as having a child in the palace? The person who s was against her saw her as such a significant existence that they didn't even bother quietly scheming but did it outright. When she thought her life was over, a guard came and suddenly brought him back to the palace. Now with the empress behind her, she would make sure to testify about what happened.

"Yes empress," The maid answered. "This lowly slave had found out that she was pregnant about four months ago. Knowing that I and my baby might be in danger, I hid my pregnancy. After about three months my morning sickness and weight gain started to become suspicious so I decided to go to my mother's house under the excuse that she was ill and bedridden, but on the way, I was stopped by a momo. Two guards tackled me to the ground, forcing a liquid down my throat. Immediately after intaking the liquid, my stomach started to cramp badly and I was just left lying like that in a pool of blood," As she continued her voice started to break.

She knew that the baby would be in danger being born and that it would cause a lot of problems, but she really wanted the baby. She was praying every day for the baby to be a girl so that it could live peacefully, but it died without even taking its first breath. Every time she thought about how cute the child would look if was born, how it would call out mother to her, and how its tiny little hands would softly clamp hers, made her break down completely.

"We have identified the culprit, don't worry, justice will be served." The empress assured making Hereditary Consort Cuifen tremble slightly.

"Then, I thank your majesty in advance," The maid thanked as she kneeled.

"No need to thank me." The empress denied, "You should thank Hereditary Consort Cuifen who thanks that some lives are so insignificant that she can take them in broad daylight." The empress continued coldly.

Because of the Hereditary Consort Cuifen's arrogance, they were able to catch her pretty fast. She was normally smart in scheming but because she was anxious this time she lost her head. Only three people in the harem had children and one was pregnant. Seeing nothing come even after the emperor went to her for his nightly visits, she started getting anxious, and after finding out about the maid she went crazy and acted impulsively.

Sorry for the late update, My dad spent the whole week here so I could not really update. I had some free time today and decided to update. Enjoy!