Topeka

Trigger warning: mentions of self harm

Isaac drove as Amile cried in the backseat with Jamie trying to comfort her. Kira looked out the window silently. After awhile the kids fell asleep. Kira glanced at Isaac to see him looking sorrowful "you okay?" Isaac snapped at her "do I fucking look okay!?" She squeaked and looked down. Isaac sighed and kept driving. "I'm sorry I'm just not in the right mindset" kira looked outside again "it's fine I get it you lost someone but at least she didn't suffer..." Isaac took a deep breath "I guess so but it doesn't really make me feel any better" kira touched his shoulder "I know and if you want to talk i'm always free" Isaac gave a small smile "thanks short stack" kira punched his shoulder "Don't call me short" Isaac chuckled "I'll call you what I want shorty" she pouted and Isaac chuckled. After a few hours the group arrived at topeka, Kansas. They looked for somewhere to stay and saw a clinic. They parked and got out. Isaac, Rodrigo, luna and Alice went inside to scout it out. After a bit they came out and Isaac spoke "it's clear" everyone began taking stuff into the clinic. They turned the examination rooms into sleeping areas and turned the lobby into a common area. Isaac looked through some cabinets and found a bit of medical supplies. He grabbed them as Rodrigo walked into the room "hey uh you okay bro?" Isaac turned to him "yeah why wouldn't i be?" Rodrigo closed the door "you know cause misty's gone..." Isaac looked down and sighed. "I don't want to talk about it, dude" Rodrigo hugged him "alright but just know i'm here for you" Isaac slowly hugged back "alright man" they both stopped and went to the lobby. Isaac looked at everyone talking. He glanced at Kira who was sitting alone looking bored. Isaac walked over and sat with her. "Hey you look bored" she looked at him "not much to do here" Isaac chuckled "true um do you want to help me cook?" She shrugged "better question do you want to help me cook?" Isaac chuckled "sure what do you need?" She looked at him "depends on what you have" Isaac grabbed a bag "a bunch of canned food" kira nodded and grabbed the bag "i'll come up with something" Isaac shrugged and went outside to make a fire. After a bit kira walked out with some cans and a pot. "Open these" Isaac nodded and began opening the cans as kira set the pot over the fire. Kira waited for isaac to finish "pour it into the pot" Isaac did so and watched the pot. After thirty minutes kira put something on her hands then grabbed the pot and took it inside as Isaac followed. Everyone walked over and Isaac helped serve the food to everyone. They sat together and started eating. Everyone's eyes widened except kira's and Emma said "holy shit this is so good" everyone began eating quickly and jaiden spoke "this is better than anything we could cook up" Isaac nodded as he ate quickly. Kira smiled "I'm glad you all like it" they kept eating but Isaac noticed Amile wasn't eating as much. He went over and said "something wrong?" Amile shook her head no and slowly continued to eat. Isaac thought "maybe she's still sad because of misty" Isaac went back and finished his food. He looked around as everyone started to finish their food. After everyone finished they left to do their own shit. Isaac went to a room and sat there thinking. He pulled out a knife and looked at it. He gently moved it to his wrist but before he could cut jaiden walked in. He looked at him silently. Isaac fumbled with the knife "oh uh hey jaiden" He walked over "what were you doing?" He put the knife away "N-N-Nothing just looking at my knife" jaiden sat with him "it didn't seem like that" Isaac looked away "well i was" He touched his shoulder "tell me the truth" he looked at jaiden "why do you care?" He sighed "because I'm part of your team. So please tell me the truth" He looked at jaiden silently "fine" he rolled up his sleeve to reveal scars going up to his shoulder. "I self harm a lot... I've lost a lot of people since this outbreak my family... My friends... Fuck even my girlfriend" He rubbed his back "I understand you've lost people. Look if you need someone to lean on i'm here" Isaac smiled a little "thanks" jaiden nodded and left the room with an evil smirk. He went somewhere private and pulled out a walkie-talkie "they're vulnerable after losing one of their friends" a male voice spoke "good find out more about them" he spoke silently "yes sir" He put the walkie-talkie away and went back to the others. He sat with luna and whispered "izume's a fucking cutter but what'd you learn?" She looked at him. "A bunch of stuff. Rodrigo is a softie, Alice has no confidence, the kids all feel helpless After misty's death, Alice plus Cole seem distant now But kira seems unfazed by all this" jaiden glanced at kira and spoke to himself "what could be her vulnerability?" Luna shrugged and looked out at the setting sun. Everyone yawned and went to their rooms. Kira went into the room Isaac was in and saw him already asleep. She smiled a little and played with his hair a bit. She quietly spoke "He looks so cute..." She gently laid with him and thought "is this wrong? I mean his so-called girlfriend died just a few hours ago... Nevermind he's single again so i don't care if it is wrong" she smiled and closed her eyes as she gently hugged him. She slowly fell asleep as she cuddled him with a warm smile. Jaiden and luna sat in a separate room planning something as everyone else slept.

To be continued...