Chapter 22: Join or Die

We were searched upon entrance to the castle. Draco had stayed behind and it hurt to think that he didnt want to address what happened earlier.

I sat at the teachers table avoiding draco's eyes as he walked in. I felt knocking on my mental wall and at first ignored it. I was trying to concentrate and listen to Albus's speech about Tom riddle. I felt it again.

'Celeste.' Heard as I let my wall down.
'Yes?' I asked him.
'I didn't mean it. Please I'm sorry. You know I'm just stressed right now...'
I put my wall back up and focused on the end of Dumbledores speech.

As I understood it, we had a new potions master and Snape was now the defense against the dark arts teacher. Good on him.

After dinner I was the first to stand up and make my way out with a league of guards surrounding me. I looked at no one and cared for nothing, as all I wanted to do was curl up next to Merlin and read myself to sleep. I was tired of being queen today.

This year Albus was going to have Harry and I get to know Horace Slughorn. Of course Snape had taught me properly and harrry would probably ignore me, but I would try anyway.

The next morning Adeline got me ready and I made my way down to breakfast glancing at Draco while I spoke with Albus. He barely ate a thing this morning. He needed to take better care of himself. I knew as soon as I thought that, I would most likely end up caving into him today.

   I spoke to Albus for a while until a little after breakfast and them made my way to potions class. I knocked on the door and entered. Everyone turned to me.

"Apologies professor slughorn...Albus and I had some things to sort." He bowed.

"Of course your majesty. Certainly. Certainly." He turned back to everyone as I walked over.

"As I was saying..one vial of Felix felicis or liquid luck to the student who within the hour successfully brews an acceptable drought of living death. The recipes of which can be found on page 10 of your book." I immediantly made my way over to a station and without grabbing a book got started. I knew for a fact that the instructions were wrong. Snape qnd Morgana had taught me an easier and faster way.

"Your majesty you forgot to grab a book, shall I get one for you?" Slughorn walked over. I shook my head while stirring the pot.

"I don't need one professor. I'm almost done actually." He gave me a shocked look.

"Dear heavens! It's only been twenty minutes!" I smiled amusedly and continued working while he watched me.

"Why are you changing the recipe?" He asked.
"It adds more potency for the potion," I explained.
"And where may I ask, did you learn this ma'am?"

"Professor Snape and my ancestor Morgana. I had read her journal in my first and second years. Snape explained it all to me and took me under his wing. She added things while Snape reduced certain ingredients. Together I created my recipe for many potions." He gave me a baffled look.

"Might I ask you to show me some of these recipes?" I nodded.
"Certainly professor. Now that I'm done why don't you look over at Harry's potion? I'm in no need of the vial of liquid luck. He is also almost finished." I pointed out.

"Might I still be able to test it?" He asked looking into the cauldron with curiosity that reminded me of a child.
"Of course." I pulled my dress out of the way and moved to the side Merlin was sitting at. I petted him while Slughorn dropped a leaf into it.

"I've never seen that happen before."
"What professor."
"Right before it touched the brew...it burnt up. It's the most amazing thing I've ever seen." He looked at me with wide eyes.
"You must tell me what you put into it." I smiled and shook my head.
"Another time perhaps as it seems my brother is calling you over." I waved in Harry's direction. He nodded and walked off mumbling.

"A vial on my desk if you would allow it, your majesty?" He asked hopefully when the class was over. I nodded and set down a vial next to his book.

"Celeste." I turned to see Draco. He had waited for me.
"Can we please talk? I miss you?" He took my hand and put it on his cheek.

I sighed and kissed him before taking a few steps back.
"I love you but you are a prat sometimes. Threatening to pitch yourself off the astronomy tower? Not wanting to stay here? You realize that means-"
"I didn't mean it!" He huffed before looking away.
"I would never leave you here by yourself while he is out there. No matter if this is on my skin I am bound to you." His words got me thinking.

"What if your family couldn't serve the dark lord because you are serving me?" I asked him.
"I don't know...we can look into it."

I knew then that I could have an upper hand on him. I could beat him. There was a way and I had an in. I would not allow him to kill my fiance or his family.

"Are you almost done repairing it?" I asked him as we walked together. We had the evening off.
"No. I can't figure it out." He whispered looking down.
"What if it's cursed? You have to break the curse before you can repair it correctly?" He looked at me with wide eyes. He quickly kissed me before running off in the opposite direction.

I smiled before walking toward the dungeons. I had a giant bat to talk to.

--------

  I sat across from Snape after his class had left. He was grading papers while I figured out how to word this. So I went for the direct approach.

"I want a meeting with him." He snapped his head up at me.
"No." I raised an amused eyebrow.
"Are you refusing me Severus?"
"Yes." He continued to grade papers.
"I have business with the dark lord," I informed him.
"No one had business with the dark lord. Either you serve him or you against him that's it. He has no equals." I smirked.

"Good thing he will be serving me then." His uninterested mask slipped for a half second.
"Why would you want to talk with the dark lord? Why come to me?"
"Well because he needs to know where I stand. Above him, with him on his knees. I rule the world that he currently wants. I think Severus that this is a meeting that he will accept." I paused before continuing.

"I also came to you because I need to do it....low profile. Draco nor the knights may know about it."

"You want me to allow you, a student. To meet the dark lord...without protection or Draco knowing about it?" I nodded and lay back in my chair.

"Precisely." I sighed.

"And what pray tell...will you be saying to him?" He inquired.

"Join or die."