Chapter 11

I'd been in my room for a while. It was already 9:30 and I knew even wearing the simplest dress, like the white one I wore, was still too fancy for this time of night.

We were expected to be in bed, or at least in our rooms, by 10.

I sent my maids on their way to their rooms, but outside the room I could hear the muffled voices talking.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Oh, don't worry about it."

"Good night."

"Good night, your majesty."

Then a knock came on my door. I walked over to answer it. I knew who I was expecting, but nervousness still crept inside of me.

I held the handle and pulled it toward me, revealing a tall guest with spiked hair.

"Good evening, Lady Emily," He smiled.

"Hello, Prince Ryan," I curtsied, "please, just call me Emily."

"I'm the Prince. I will call you what I want," he joked. He raised his chin and continued, "but I will only call you Emily if you will not curtsy every time I see you."

"Deal," I laughed.

It wasn't actually that funny, but I felt if I laughed at his style of humor, he'd feel more comfortable with me.

"Well, it looks like you are ready to do something with me now." He chuckled.

Oh goodness. Do not remind me of what happened before the dinner.

I looked down at my plain dress, "Mhm," I hummed.

"Please, if you would follow me," he held his arm out for me to take.

I slid my arm into his and asked, "we can only be together for half of an hour? I'm supposed to be back in my room by 10."

"As the Prince of this country, I allow you to stay up later than your regular curfew."

"How gracious."

"For tonight only," he added.

"I think that was implied." I giggled.

Being with him wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. In fact, it was quite exhilarating. His presence was something I didn't want to let go of until I absolutely had to.

I smiled as I looked up at him. We walked for a while until we were in a hallway with windows on either side.

My room was on the second floor of the palace, where all of the selected had their rooms located. There were chairs facing one of the windows, so you could see the sky outside, but on the other window was door to step out onto a balcony.

Prince Ryan opened that door and motioned me to go out first. I smile and walked out, feeling the refreshing breeze on my face. He then stepped out and calmly closed the door behind him.

"What a lovely night," I said looking around.

"Indeed," he stood next to me.

I rested my elbows on the fence of the balcony and looked below us at the flower beds that were on the ground.

Resting his elbows on the fence as well, he said, "You got something special to you, Emily."

That was not what I expected to hear, but I replied, "what's that?"

"Whenever I'm around you, I feel comforted. I feel like I have nothing to worry about."

"Well... Thanks?" I didn't know what to say to that. Of course it was a compliment, but it felt like he was saying these things too fast. I haven't even been here for three days.