Chapter 39 - The Proposal

I admit it. I was terrified. And it was not my daily nervousness and apprehension, no, this was much more.

I was not prepared to get engaged today. But the questions that mainly soared through me asked: why wouldn't Ryan tell me about this last night? I scattered throughout my day and witnessed Chelsea and Karen make me the biggest and most breathtaking dress ever. Just seeing the dress in making gave me a sweat of anxiety.

"Hey," Karen looked up from her work when she noticed I was pacing myself, "it's going to be fine. We both know how Ryan feels about you. There is nothing to worry about."

I nodded and bit my nail. I could already picture the entire proposal in my head, but I did not have enough time to plan out exactly the things I needed. For example, how do I stifle my tears of joy? Or should I link arms with Amelia?

My maids dismissed themselves to go conceal the dress off in another room, and during that time, Ryan walked through my door unexpectedly and made his was across to me.

"Can we talk?" He asked softly, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I nodded again, still too frightened to speak.

"I'm sorry for not telling you. But, I didn't tell Amelia either. See, being in the position of princess or queen is to accept tasks even if they are last minute. It's total preparation. Please forgive me."

I nodded once more, unable to squeal out a word.

"And I know this is nerve-racking, but it's even more so for me. All you have to do is stand next to Amelia on the platform and listen. Yes, the camera crew will be there, but please ignore them. I want it to seem like only us in the moment," he placed his lips on mine for the sweetest comfort.

I didn't want him to let go.

He continued, "5:00 sharp," his eyes dug into me.

He then left, and my maids returned.

• • •

It was 4:50. I began to take deep breaths and pace again. My maids tried to calm me down, but I couldn't hear a word.

"We must start heading down now, Lady Emily," Chelsea said as gently as possible.

"Now?"

"Yes, now."

"Wait! I want to talk to you guys before anything happens," I raised my hands.

"Yes?" They both asked.

"Girls, you have become such amazing friends of mine. You were the best maids I could ask for, honestly. And if I win this, I want to keep you guys. I don't want the fancy upper maids, no, I want you guys. I love you both so much, and I can't thank you enough for taking me so far."

"Oh, Lady Emily, we feel the same," Chelsea embraced me into a hug, "are you sure?"

"I'm positive," I hugged back and Karen joined.

"You got this," Karen whispered.

With sweat shining on my face, I smiled as we entered the room. Amelia already stood, looking nervous, but calm. She talked to an official who she nodded to and raised an eyebrow. I gave my last hugs of support to my maids before they sat down, and I made my way to Amelia.

"Hey," I sighed out.

"Hey, you ready?"

"I'm trying," I grabbed her hand.

"It's okay, we can go through this together."

I smiled and Marcus waved a finger to us. We walked over and smiled at the camera as he introduced the event.