Capter 13

It was true. I had real feelings for Ryan. But he has these moments of aggravation, especially when he was trying to be all deep and serious. Like when he was trying to compliment me. I couldn't stand them. Although, I still liked him and enjoyed being with him, I don't know how I be for the next few weeks.

The night was rough, yet silent. My maids knew I was upset, but didn't bother asking any questions. The most we spoke to each other was when I dismissed them to their rooms. They said their goodnights and crept out.

Sleeping wasn't any better. I was up most of the night with a headache. The day was too stressful on me. But today is Thursday, the day of The Report. And tomorrow Ryan would be announcing the elite.

My maids got me ready for breakfast in a little pink dress. I ate, spent some time in the ladies room, and was now making my way back to my room. It was already 11. I had a late breakfast since I didn't sleep good.

"Lady Emily," Karen smiled at me.

"Hey," I said as I walked in, "what's going on?"

"Oh, not a lot," Chelsea said as she was making my bed.

I felt guilty that I had maids doing all the work. I was used to doing all the work for my family, or at least doing my own.

"Here, let me help you with that," I said grabbing a pillow.

"Lady Emily, it is honestly okay," Chelsea pleaded.

"No, please let me help," I insisted.

She tried taking the pillow from my hands but I kept my grip on it.

"Lady Emily," she stared at me.

"Let me do it, I want to help."

I was now getting frustrated. I couldn't believe we were actually arguing over something as simple as making a bed.

"Lady Emily, I will not let you. I am your maid, this is what I'm here for," I could tell she was getting frustrated too.

"Do not call me 'Lady Emily'! And do not say that this is what you are here for! To prance around and do everything just for my pleasure. You are a person! A human being! You don't deserve to be treated like an animal and only follow my commands! I just want to help you," I was pushed too far and burned off my steam, but as soon as I did so, I immediately regretted it.

"Yes... E-Emily," Chelsea looked down at her feet.

"No, no, I'm so sorry!" I threw myself into and wrapped my arms around her.

She hugged back and began, "I understand. I'm just doing my job... I couldn't let you take that over."

Karen watched us from the chair next to the vanity. She was reading a book when I first walked in, but that book was now resting on her lap.

"I'm so sorry," I continued to hug her.

"Lady Emily, it is alright."

"Oh, I think I'm going to go back to the ladies room," I rubbed my forehead, "when I get back can you guys get some medicine for my headache?"

"Of course," Karen said quietly.

I walked out without with adding anything else. I was already too ashamed of my behavior. I just needed to be around some friends for a while.
I crossed my fingers that Jessica wouldn't be in the bathroom and when I walked in, she was not.

"Hey Emily," Hannah, Kathleen, and Amelia greeted me.

"Hey," I sat down next to Amelia, "Jessica isn't hiding anywhere in here, is she?"

"I hope not," Hannah winked at me.

Amelia had a magazine in her hand, Hannah was reading a book, and Kathleen was sitting by a mirror pinning up her hair. I sat there and looked around.

"Are you excited for tonight?" Kathleen asked while stretching a hair tie into her hair.

"What's tonight?" Hannah asked confused.

"The Report."

"Duh," Amelia chimed in sarcastically.

"Oh, I'm stupid!" Hannah smiled and smacked her palm to her forehead.

I couldn't help but to peep out a laugh.

"Hey!" Hannah pointed at me, "watch it, Emily!" She said jokingly.

We all laughed a little and I realized how lucky I was. To be sitting in a calm room, distracted from my awful feelings and confusion. I realized that I do have friends, and I'm not alone. I have people that I can trust. I wasn't used to that.

A little while pasted and we were silent the entire time.

Until I said, "How long have we been here?" In a monotone voice.

Amelia answered in another monotone voice and said, "About an hour."

"No, I mean like in the palace. Has it been a week?"

"Today is the fourth day," Hannah responded.

"Ugh! It feels like months!" I whined, sinking down into the coach.

"What will a month feel like?" Kathleen laughed.

"Years!"

"And years?" Amelia giggled along.

"Eternity!"

"What if you win?"

"Then I will be here until I die."

"Wow, you make it sound like a prison."

"You know I'm just playing," I smiled at them.

We ended up finding ourselves laughing continuously.

"What do you think our names would be together? Me and Ryan," Amelia rested her chin on her hand.

"Rylia," I said in a serious voice. She laughed and cupped her hand over her mouth.

I smiled.

"What about me?" Giggled Hannah.

"Rynah," Kathleen piped.

"Sounds like 'rhino'!" Hannah jerked up and laughed.

Amelia still sat next to me, laughing. I could help but to laugh myself.

"Emily, yours would be be pronounced like 'Riley'!" Hannah smiled at me.

Amelia was at the point of crying now and her laughing was contagious. She slowly sank her way to the floor.

"I can't breathe!" She choked out.

Suddenly we were all laughing until our stomachs ached.

"Ryleen!" Yelled Hannah.

At that point we were all dead. I couldn't catch my breath. Our laughs combined into a crazy noise that sounded like a hyena.

I fell off the couch, clenching my stomach. Kathleen had her head tilted back, laughing uncontrollably and Hannah was rolled up in a ball on a coach by herself.

I grabbed Amelia's arm and tried to catch my breath, but ended up breaking out into laughter again.
But then the bathroom door burst open and Queen Marcy stood in shock.
Our laughter immediately stopped and revealed a blaring siren coming from the ceiling.

"Girls! Come quickly! It's the rebels."