Healing

A/n: GUYS. I'M FEELING INSPIRED.

Sort of. Maybe? Here's...this.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, though!

"Dead. Dead. Dead. Can't breathe. Suffocating. Too tight. Too hot. Dead. Dead. Dead."

Shadow subconsciously scratched at the golden collar squeezing his neck, watching the door with predatory focus. She came in every day without fail. He was hungry.

Ever since the skirmish with the monster herd, visits had been shorter. The ghost was angry. This was not vengeance. This was redemption, this was good.

That was not what the ghost was here for.

"Vengeance," the ghost hissed through Shadow's mouth. He rolled his neck, a low growl rumbling in his chest.

The door started to slide open. Shadow slid back into the dark corner of his cell, canines poking over his bottom lip. The (a/t) poked her head inside as she always did, her eyes wary as she caught sight of him. She stepped inside, the door clanging shut behind her.

"Good morning," she said, her hands hanging limply at her sides. "How are you feeling today?" He hissed, tugging at the collar.

"Not today," the ghost snarled. Inside, Shadow clawed at it, his wrecked body shuddering as the ghost attempted to retain control. Shadow was weaker than he had been. It had taken everything to fight for them instead of trying to kill them, his friends.

(Y/n). (Y/n). (Y/n). He repeated her name like a mantra in his head and the ghost shied away from it, all the while digging its searing claws into his mind.

He felt her hands on his arms, on his shoulders, on his face. He looked up into her eyes, lips parting. "(Y/n)," he whispered. The ghost shrieked inside his head and he flinched away from her, though she followed him.

"Stay with me," she said.

"Kill her. Kill her. Kill her," the ghost snarled. "Too cold. Too hopeful!" Shadow's hand shot out against his will, closing around her windpipe. She gasped, gripping his arm, but she didn't struggle.

"I know you're in there," she rasped. "I know you're tired, but I'm asking you not to give up. You are stronger than this!"

"Kill, kill, kill, kill." The words came out through his mouth and he bared his teeth, standing and lifting her off the ground. (Y/n) choked on a breath and went limp in his grasp. The sight sent a bolt of energy through Shadow and he scrabbled against the ghost's hold on his control.

I am Shadow the Hedgehog. I am Shadow the Hedgehog.

"I am Shadow the Hedgehog." His hand released (Y/n)'s throat and she collapsed on the ground, eyes closed. Shadow dropped to his knees, gripping his head. He forced his eyes open, to the (a/t) on the floor. He dragged himself over to her and lay next to her, unable to do more than curl up beside her and brush his hand across her face.

"I'm sorry...."

~

"He's...unconscious?" Blaze nudged Rouge aside from the door, taking in the two Mobians curled up next to each other on the floor.

"It's incredible," she murmured, standing back from the window and turning to the bat. "The ghosts have power. Something unlike anything I have ever seen."

"You mean other than the ability to possess the living?" Rouge asked blandly, throwing the princess a side glance.

"You saw the power with which he defeated those monsters."